• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd day doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Opening day was a "toad strangler" hereabouts and I sloshed home at noon after seeing nothing. Today was windy and variable (wind shifts of 90 to 180º - I hate that) and, after kicking one out in the morning and seeing only a glimpse of tail, I had this lady walk at me at 3:30PM. I was actually taking a step when I first saw her. At 30 yards she looked towards me so I took the shot. Quartering frontal. Not the best angle but on level ground with 30 yards it is a shot I take when offerred.

HPIM1006.jpg

HPIM1005.jpg

HPIM1008.jpg

.50 T/C New Englander, 0.490" round ball, 80 gr FFg, Moose Snot on 0.018" cotton tick patch and a CCI cap. Dropped in her tracks and I could not find the ball though I did not find an exit wound. Oh, and a new for this season Hunting Dawg seven shot ball block. :wink: Made all the difference.

HPIM1010.jpg

And another caution about head shots. The doe lowered her head just as I was pulling the trigger and I clipped her lower jaw before the ball entered her chest. I was concentrating on where I figured the top of the heart was. If I had been aiming at the head I would likely have missed.

Nice job Stumpy!

I'm glad the ball block is seeing some action but you didn't even reload.

:haha:

:thumbsup:

HD

Good Shooting! She will be good eating as well. Liked that traditional horse you drug it out with :rotf:

Oh yes I did. This is after I got back home, cleaned the rifle and put two fresh patched balls back in the block. The middle & furthest left - you can tell 'cause they're lighter than the older patches. I always reload as soon as #1 is away . . . even if the deer appears down for keeps.

A coup des mercís at least or a surprise Rasputin deer that takes more killing than anticipated is much easier to handle with a loaded rifle. ;-)

Stumpkiller said:
Oh yes I did. This is after I got back home, cleaned the rifle and put two fresh patched balls back in the block. The middle & furthest left - you can tell 'cause they're lighter than the older patches.

:slap: How did I ever miss that? I should have noticed.
:haha:

:hatsoff:

HD

wvbuckbuster said:
Good Shooting! She will be good eating as well. Liked that traditional horse you drug it out with :rotf:

Well, a classic at least. That's my '56 Ford 640.

And I had to drag it 1/4 mile down off the hill and across a creek before I could load her on the tractor. My fjord and the neighbor's bridge washed out two years ago and I haven't figured out a new route yet.

But I did manage to get to the spot on foot from my back door. My property is 2,860 ft deep and only 335 ft wide. Shaped like a ruler. She was at the furthest tip and a little beyond.

Very nice! I wish that I had the woodworking tools to make such a loading block. Heck, I don't even have a drill press. :cursing:

Stumpkiller said:

I see, your "Cherry Girl" rifle is just for showin' and your huntin' gun is a T/C... :blah: :rotf:

Are you sure you didn't run over that doe with your tractor first? :haha:

Just messin with ya a bit Stumpy, nice looking doe. :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
Musketman said:
Stumpkiller said:

I see, your "Cherry Girl" rifle is just for showin' and your huntin' gun is a T/C... :blah: :rotf:

Oh, she gets to dance once in a while. I carried Cherry Girl all day today and didn't see nuttin but squirrels. :slap: Maybe tomorrow.
What? Is she too snotty to shoot a lowly squirrel?

Nice job Stumpy. :wink: Season opens here 22 of Nov, will be heading north in a couple days I think. Will be taking along some patch strips with Snot on some and juice on others.

Might have time for one more trip to the range before I go.

Latest posts

Back