• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2nd bag build w/antler ball starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As often is the case, doing something a second time means it goes a bit easier for me. This is my second hunter’s bag build. This one from oil-tanned leather in a dark brown color, versus my first build made from veg-tanned, then built and then stained. I admit that the oil tanned is more supple and easier to work with.

I inserted welting again this time, which required complimentary staining that piece. I also altered my pattern so that the back piece is also the front flap. I did insert a gusset again, which adds complexity but I think is totally worth it for the look and I like the shape & size. I also sewed in a little “holster” for the self-made antler ball starter.

I have a leather strap ready to sew on, but I also ordered a hand-woven strap that I may use instead.

My designs are simple, and my stitch work is far from perfect, but I truly enjoy making these for my own use.

Pics of bag (Brow tine button):
View attachment 22585

View attachment 22587

View attachment 22588

View attachment 22589

View attachment 22591

Antler ball starter:
View attachment 22592
View attachment 22593

A little hard to see, but on one end of the antler handle, I formed a concave indentation to start the ball, and in the other end I drilled out enough marrow for 90gr of powder.

very nice work! I had to look twice at your login... my daughter has the same table and she’s just starting to do leather work.

I tried one of those stitch punches a few times, but ultimately gave up on it because I prefer to kind of poke & sew as I go, holding various pieces in all sorts of contortions. The punch just never seems to be practical to me... but my stitch lines certainly aren’t as straight as I wish I could do!

Grin! I know what you mean.

It can be especially daunting when sewing two or more pieces of leather together, to ensure they end up the same length at the end because of the "stretchiness" of some pieces of leather or stretchiness in certain areas of the leather. OMG that used to drive me insane! I tried a number of things to deal with that over the years, but the easiest way struck me like a lightning bolt after CaptJas helped me get a set of Eric Myall's 18th century leather working videos (that I still very much appreciate and hope I don't wear them out, I watch them so often). Eric simply awl punched holes and made sacrificial loop stitches every so often. Then as he awl punched and stitched close, the loops were just cut with a knife. In my case, this was a real head slap moment.

Of course, I would be extremely remiss if I didn't point out something that is at least germane to the period. While the few remaining 18th century pouches seem to have been the products of those who had some skill, if not professional period leather workers; many pouches made back then were not made by men who had such skill. Also as Eric Myall pointed out when making a simple cartridge pouch, they might not or would not have worried about all the niceties of marking holes before punching. Actually, he makes the case in one such cartridge pouch that they would not wasted the time for a more detailed saddle stitch. Now with his experience, his stitches almost look like they were spaced out, but most people did not have that experience. So to be correct for the period, the sewing of the pouch and some other things need not be as perfect as we might like.

Gus

Gus-
Indeed those sacrificial stitches are life savers for holding all the pieces together. You’d probably laugh when you see how many I sometimes use! I probably put in one every 1.5 inches on the seams that use the thicker welting piece. That in particular just didn’t want to “play nicely” with the rest of the leather!

And... with no research to back me up, I just assumed that back in the day, Mountain Men likely made a lot of their own stuff, and we all can’t be experts at everything!

Having said that, I did put another post up where I did use the thread punch (flint wallet) yesterday, in that application, it worked really well. I still don’t look like a pro, but definitely produces more even thread lines.

Back