• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd and 3rd Gen Colt Percussion Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt Flint

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the current market value of 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt Percussion revolvers is? I have several NIB. I know full well the history of both. I only need an educated guess.

It depends which model of course. Some were a bit rarer. Generally its a softer market than sellers want to believe, but rarer ones can bring good high bids. The second gen are worth more than the third by at least 25% or more.

I haven’t paid much attention lately but for a while when the pandemic was in full swing they were selling for crazy prices, 1860’s for just under a thousand dollars. i sold a couple back then. Now, the market is not so hot.

Does anyone know what the current market value of 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt Percussion revolvers is? I have several NIB. I know full well the history of both. I only need an educated guess.
Tough to make that educated guess without knowing what model(s) you have. Kind of like asking what the current value of a 1970s Chevy is without stating the model. Corvair, Impala or Corvette? Makes a difference.

I’ll bite. I peruse GB a lot. 2nd generations will usually sell for $500-$1000. To narrow that down, GB will allow an “Advanced Search” of “Completed Items” including those that didn’t sell. This search tool is fairly robust with numerous filters so you can look for your specific model and see how much it might have sold for.

Most sellers have the 3’rd gens priced way too high. At gun shops and gun shows those marked at $500 to $1,000 don’t sell for months and years. Buyers will often pay about 25% over what a standard Italian copy will bring, and no more.
Second Generation guns bring a little more around here, but not much. A lot of us buy them for shooters.
Keep in mind that us old farts that like percussion revolvers are dying off at a rapid rate and getting too blind to shoot. The younger guys ( under 40 ) care nothing for them in general.
So what I am saying is that the potential market demand is rapidly shrinking.
Similar situation to the commemorative Winchester lever actions produced in the 1960’s and 1970’s. A lot of people bought them for investments, but they never increased in value much beyond inflation over standard Winchesters because younger people wanted bolt actions and AR-15’s.

Last edited:
Back