• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F or 3F (in rain & humidity)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hunt the Southern Appalachians and as some know the southern Appalachians can be a “hot tropical rainforest”

I was shooting my new 20 gauge flintlock Fowler with 3F. I found out that 3F was giving me pretty good shots At about 50 yards. But today I was very inconsistent, with some bullets not even hitting the target, because it was raining on and off and the humidity was like steam! When my cleaning Patch reached the breach when cleaning between shots I could feel crunching from some powder that didn’t burn up assuming because it was wet.

I’ve been thinking if it’s because 3F might be more sensitive to humidity than 2F?

And I was wondering if there’s anyone here that hunts very humid environments, like the Southern Appalachians, and how y’all compensate for the regular rain and very high humidity?? Also how to reload when hunting in rain and very high humidity effectively?? Or any other advice and tips on shooting/hunting in rain and very high humidity?

Still very new to this!

I have put the sneak on many of bedded deer in inclement weather;). On my cap gun I put tape over muzzle, and after the cap is on I smear chap-stick with small artist brush around cap and nipple and Saran wrap around that. On the flintlock I tape muzzle and seal pan very carfully with same process as cap lock. protect that with a home made type cows knee of plastic and rubber bands. Has worked quit well over the years.

I don't need food bad enough to deal with all of that. And my game of choice is not going to flush in the rain absent the dog and I step on it.
But I do like to poke around in deep woods in rain. My DI pointed out to me years ago that the Lord built me waterproof. Coming out of that at sunset gives me more excuse than I need for a scotch followed by a stew and a glass of wine.

And I was wondering if there’s anyone here that hunts very humid environments, like the Southern Appalachians, and how y’all compensate for the regular rain and very high humidity?? Also how to reload when hunting in rain and very high humidity effectively?? Or any other advice and tips on shooting/hunting in rain and very high humidity?

Howdy...,
Alright, so it's not your powder, it's your lock...., and your hat.....,

So you want to put a dollop of grease in front of the frizzen bridle, where the barrel and the stock meet. Otherwise it acts as a rain or moisture gutter and the water flows toward your touchhole.

You want to put some wax, like 75% beeswax and 25% crisco on the edge of your lock where the pan and frizzen meet....,

GREASE POINTS FOR LOCK.png

This will reduce the water getting in. However, only grease the edge of the lock in very damp weather as the flash from the pan tends to melt the stuff and you can end up with a gooey mess in the pan. Bring stuff to clean out the pan before you reload...

You can take a rifleman's hat off, yes your head gets wet, but you use it to shield the muzzle ad you add your components, if it's really damp and you need to reload. The crown is stiff, which is why it works. Shield the lock the same way when it come time to prime. It can seem awkward, but it will get you reloaded.

LD

Swab and dry between shots. In a flint lock wipe and dry pan, cover the lock, muzzel down at all times
Very Sound Advice!. I live in North AL and I am primarily a waterfowler so I am around moisture all the time. 3Fg is not the problem it's not doing the above in wet weather especially with a flintlock. I use beeswax mixed with Olive oil at about 50/50 ratio and smear that around the pan and where the lock meets the barrel as another poster noted. I wipe between shots in wet weather to keep the breach dry. Use a lock cover too and wipe it down in beeswax or mink oil from TOW. Track of the Wolf. Good stuff for wet weather. I too have had some incredible hunts on wet days unless it is just pouring rain then I stay home. Misting rain is actual fun to hunt in and test your skills! Our ancestors just did not quit because of some wet days, Hunt on I say!

Not traditional but when I hunted deer in the rain with my FL I did the following. Saran wrap on end of barrel but the lock got a special treatment that was done at home before I went upstate. Totally de-grease the pan and and side of barrel. Grease the bottom and barrel side of the frizzen. On the pan and around the touch hole I used Silicon to create a gasket, close the frizzen and walk away. I did this the day before I went out. used a cover on the pan to keep the flint and frizzen face mostly dry. Driving 4 hours to hunt and not getting a sure ignition was not acceptable to me.

Great info here! My last hunt in the rain resulted in my first shot from my Bess going off (still missed the squirrel). But all subsequent shots required two attempts before igniting the main charge. Eventually enough water got into the main charge that I had to pull the wad/shot and go home.

Back