• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2f in a large bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I eventually want to get around to owning a large bore fowler 12-10 gauge. My question is if I can get away with 2f instead of 1.5f. I have a lot of 2f and use it as the main charge in all of my guns. I would love to keep it that way with this gun. Shot would be the primary load I would use. Thanks!

FFG is fine to use in 12 and 10 gauge. so is FFFG for that matter. FG is also fine although you will see a significant velocity drop vs FFG. Patterns in shotguns matter most, then velocity.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Quick and easy answers are the best kind! As a side note, for those of you that shoot big bores, is the performance difference between say a 16 gauge and a 12 gauge noticeable enough to justify the extra recoil and powder? This gun would be for turkey, snowshoe hares, and the odd goose or puddle-jumped duck. I have a wonderful 24 gauge that has been like a wand on squirrels, rabbits, and dove, however I would like something that has a little more bite for the bigger boys, and checks off on the turkey laws that require a 20 gauge or larger. Thanks!

With shot there will be little or no noticeable difference between the two. If you’re shooting RBs and a larger powder load you may feel a little more push with the 12, but not much.
Excellent. I shoot some heavy centerfires but I was just curious to see if anyone would say it is "vicious" or wholly unenjoyable. It won't be a primary roundball shooter but it is nice to know I would be able to sling some solids from it when I wanna play militia man. Something about having a 12 gauge in an appropriately styled gun seems really attractive. Is 12 gauge something that would have been common enough from Long Island to Boston? I live in this corridor and want to keep it historically accurate. I know we can find a caliber that is the outlier for all of these styles, but I would like to keep it similar to what would have been sort of run of the mill in that area, leading up to the Revolution. Thanks!

Excellent. I shoot some heavy centerfires but I was just curious to see if anyone would say it is "vicious" or wholly unenjoyable. It won't be a primary roundball shooter but it is nice to know I would be able to sling some solids from it when I wanna play militia man. Something about having a 12 gauge in an appropriately styled gun seems really attractive. Is 12 gauge something that would have been common enough from Long Island to Boston? I live in this corridor and want to keep it historically accurate. I know we can find a caliber that is the outlier for all of these styles, but I would like to keep it similar to what would have been sbitort of run of the mill in that area, leading up to the Revolution. Thanks!
Sure. I'd say 14 gauge, 11, 12, and possibly 10 Ga, are all pretty common sizes for bigger bores during colonial times along the corridor you want to represent. Actually there was not any particular civilian standard, but perhaps the militia tended to influence bore choices. Later the 16 grew in popularity after we had a standing army and the civilian guns were more dedicated to hunting and possibly home defense.
The biggest advantage of choosing 12 Ga is the choice of accessories and wads available for it!

Remember all shotguns shoot pellets at the same velocities. Therefore a pellet at 1050 fps delivers the same force regardless which gauge you use. The difference is the larger gauges have more pellets increasing the chance of hitting your target. You also must remember with muzzleloading shotguns you can use less shot in a big gauge or load heavier in a smaller gauge if you want. Within reason. So your 24ga is the same power as my 10ga. Just less pellets.
Mwal

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Quick and easy answers are the best kind! As a side note, for those of you that shoot big bores, is the performance difference between say a 16 gauge and a 12 gauge noticeable enough to justify the extra recoil and powder? This gun would be for turkey, snowshoe hares, and the odd goose or puddle-jumped duck. I have a wonderful 24 gauge that has been like a wand on squirrels, rabbits, and dove, however I would like something that has a little more bite for the bigger boys, and checks off on the turkey laws that require a 20 gauge or larger. Thanks!
You can also load the 12 gauge gun with a charge similar to the 16 gauge. Also, the 16 gauge can be loaded up to about a 12 gauge load. There is so much flexibility in the loads we can use in any specific smooth bored gun that we don't automatically have to tolerate more recoil or use extra shot and powder when there is no need to use extra shot or powder.

Based on recommendations from this august forum, I chose 3F for my Brown Bess which is basically an 11 Gauge smoothbore. It works equally well as primer as the main charge. I tried some 2F early on, and didn't see any real difference, but then I was just getting started, and did not know what to look for.

What has my head scratching is this: Back when I first got into blackpowder shooting, I was advised to use only 2F for my percussion Hawken. When I got my 'Bess, folks told me 3F. I still don't know the general rule of thumb on this.

Based on recommendations from this august forum, I chose 3F for my Brown Bess which is basically an 11 Gauge smoothbore. It works equally well as primer as the main charge. I tried some 2F early on, and didn't see any real difference, but then I was just getting started, and did not know what to look for.

What has my head scratching is this: Back when I first got into blackpowder shooting, I was advised to use only 2F for my percussion Hawken. When I got my 'Bess, folks told me 3F. I still don't know the general rule of thumb on this.
The general rule going back for decades that you would read in magazines and manuals was 3F for smaller calibers up to .50 and 2F for .50 and above, excluding really large bore guns. So with a .50 it was then preached that you can go either way. Now we know that there are no hard and fast rules on this.

I used to shoot a lot of flintlock skeet with a 12 bore and an 18 bore. I found 3fff ignites slightly faster than 2ff
It's the only time I used 4ffff for prime too.

Latest posts

Back