• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

29” to 42” barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need a breech plug. Hooked Breech Plug, for Thompson Center Hawken Rifle, percussion, 15/16" octagon, with standard 5/8-18 threads - Track of the Wolf and the ability to propelry fit it.
And a rib. Under Rib for 15/16" octagon, smooth drawn steel, 30" length, made in the U. S. A. by Track of the Wolf, Inc. - Track of the Wolf
And, know how to solder it in place
And some thimbles
And sights,
And the ability to cut dovetails

IF you know how to do these things it is simple. 42" is will ponderous with a 15/16" barrel.

I have a 42" x 15/16" in 50cal, and I shoot it very well offhand, but it is the rifle I am least likely to carry into the woods.

I bought thr breech plug from TOTW,and have fitted it already,,I plan on drilling and taping the rail just like the TC is BCE7B3FD-44F1-4973-8321-87D012FAF92F.jpeg

I’m building it for target shooting,the barrel I used for parts was an extra I picked up that the bore is really bad,like Excess650 I’ll use my good TC barrel to hunt with

Rebarreled a half stock CVA Mountain rifle together with a 39(?)" .50 Hatfield Percussion Barrel. It shoots very well from bench rest but handles like an 8 foot 2x4. Adding the new long rib with solder was a real chore.

Screwing the rib on is risky. If you penetrate in to the bore you are s.o.l. . Using a milling machine to measure the hole depth is the only way I would even consider it. At least super glue or epoxy the rib on to make all the holes line up. After drilling and tapping heat the rib to break it free.

Soldering is not a chor. Tin the rib and barrel. Re flux with rosin. Cut your thimble recesses and flat of the thimbles and tin them too. Position it all with a steel rod in the hollow. Use clamps and or wire. Heat starting at the muzzle. As the solder melts work your way back. There is not need to melt it all at once.

A soldered rib will not rust the bottom flat. A soldered rib is solid to the barrel. It makes a much neater job. Soldering is better in every way, but suit yourself.

Last edited:
Scota what brand solder and paste do you use ?,drilling and taping is no problem for me, as I do automotive machine work on engines and have a milling machine with a digital read out, Thanks all for the help!

Back