• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28ga Spain de Eusebio arizaga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this off my friend for 30 bucks, he got it for free from a buddy. It is clean and functions. I disassembled it last night and made sure everything was lubricated. 28 gauge smoothbore. Was going to shoot it today with a small charge, the barrel seems in really good shape. What do you all recommend for a hunting charge in this gun? I was going to use it for a little squirrel/rabbit gun. My big concern is too much powder because I know this gun is from 67 and some were made with sub par metals. Any knowledge from yall would be incredibly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220909_225625.jpg
    20220909_225625.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220909_225802.jpg
    20220909_225802.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220909_225808.jpg
    20220909_225808.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220909_225432.jpg
    20220909_225432.jpg
The nipple looks a bit odd. You might need one of your nipples to match with the guns nipple.
As for a powder charge a 28ga is about 55 caliber. I would start with 50 grains and go from there.
Brian

During the early resurgence of black powder in the 60's, these were quite commonly sold in full-page ads offering a variety of styles - doubles, odd-looking flintlocks, some with animal heads carved below the wrists, etc. For many of us, these were some of our first muzzeloading, factory-made shotguns. Supposedly, they were produced for natives in various places where cartridge guns were not allowed. They were inexpensive.

The one I had was similar. Didn't weigh much. I shot mine quite often with no problems other than due to the light weight, recoil was out of proportion to the gauge. As long as charges are equal IN VOLUME between powder and shot and not overloaded, you're good to go. Never tried a solid projectile, so that's on you.

Typically, the wood didn't seem very tough on those I had anything to do with. Look up appropriate charges, stay well below the max, and have fun. You paid about what they were going for "back in the day".

I have a DGW 28ga that is the same maker as yours. Mine is actually a 32ga mic’d at .526/13.3mm. Yours is closer to 28ga with 13.9mm on the barrel or .546. My load is uasualy 60grs and 7/8oz of shot. I have varied this from 50 to 60grs and 3/4, 7/8, and 1 oz. of shot. Mine seems to pattern best with 7/8’s over 60grs. #6 & 7 shot but test it yourself as each gun is different. It is a 20yd gun no matter how you stuff it. I buy my O/P & O/S wads from Precision Reloading. Mine weighs but 3 1/2 lbs and is my go to woods gun. Shooting a PRB is not bad also. BTW, I removed the stock stain to find a dark wood under the crappy orange stain on mine. Ten years ago I gave $200 for mine because it was a DGW. I’ve seen them sell for as much as $400, which is absurd IMO. You got a steal at $30. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Bought this off my friend for 30 bucks, he got it for free from a buddy. It is clean and functions. I disassembled it last night and made sure everything was lubricated. 28 gauge smoothbore. Was going to shoot it today with a small charge, the barrel seems in really good shape. What do you all recommend for a hunting charge in this gun? I was going to use it for a little squirrel/rabbit gun. My big concern is too much powder because I know this gun is from 67 and some were made with sub par metals. Any knowledge from yall would be incredibly appreciated!
Funny, I think I have the pistol version of this. Its smoothbore and I want to use it as a 'squirrel finisher'

Attachments

• IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
  • IMG_5218.JPG
    IMG_5218.JPG
  • IMG_5219.JPG
    IMG_5219.JPG
I have one very similar that I bought in 1967 for 29 dollars new. I shoot 55 grain FF and 3/4 ounce shot and have got a lot of pigons, rabbits and a few pheasants with it.

I have been wondering about these. My father gave me one of these in October. A friend had given it to him a couple of years ago and it had belonged to his father. Mine measures .54. It doesn't have a maker name like yours but is has all the proofs and such and it has a Made in Spain and T.A. Cal 20 by the serial number. It does have both the sling attachments. The nipple on mine is wonky also. The nipple looks to have been made of cheaper metal and peened in some. Need a new one.

Attachments

• DSCN0364.JPG
    DSCN0364.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
AKA, "Brazilian Monkey Gun." Supposedly these were made for trade to the natives in Brazil, who used them for hunting monkeys for food. With the resurgence of muzzleloading in the 1950s and 60s, some also got sold to sport shooters here in the USA.

AKA, "Brazilian Monkey Gun." Supposedly these were made for trade to the natives in Brazil, who used them for hunting monkeys for food. With the resurgence of muzzleloading in the 1950s and 60s, some also got sold to sport shooters here in the USA.
Thanks for the info. Price was right and it is complete. It was an oddity I couldn't find any information on.

Latest posts

Back