• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28ga Early Virginia did not speak this AM...BUT:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Nature never disappoints”¦Doe and 2 yearlings stepped into camera view while I was out turkey hunting with my Flintlock this morning. Decoys are 25 yards away, deer stepped out at 75 yards, then came closer. Something kept bothering them as they kept looking towards the road about 150-200 yards away”¦I couldn’t see that angle, figured somebody was walking along.

Sony NEX-7 DSLR, Canon FD50-135/[email protected], ISO400, Shutter 1/200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYnIZrC7U0

Last edited by a moderator:
Britsmoothy said:
:thumbsup:
How close did they get?
B.
I'd estimate they stopped about 10yds on the other side of the decoys...35yds away. It's a rare day afield that I don't find something to make the trip worthwhile, even if I come home empty handed of the game I was after

Cool video, roundball, thanks for posting. Reminds me of a similar incident which happened to me several years ago, when I first started turkey hunting. The first time I had deer come in when I had decoys out I was curious what their reaction would be if I called. They looked but didn't seem disturbed. They seemed very interested in the decoys, slowly approached them until one actually reached out and sniffed a decoy like a dog. If the dreaded man-scent we all talk about so much bothered them, they hid it well, because they settled down to graze for quite a while right next to the decoys and 10 yards from me. It eventually turned out to be a demonstration of the difference between deer and turkey. A real turkey came along from the other direction and got very close to me, the deer and the decoys, but was on my wrong side. I didn't even attempt to turn, I knew that was hopeless, but I did twist my head just a bit. That set the turkey off and it ran, then flew in a panic. The deer had tolerated far more movement from me for a long time, working the box call, etc. with no reaction, but that turkey was putting up with no nonsense. The deer went back to grazing. As they say, a deer sees a hunter, thinks it's a stump, keeps coming, a turkey sees a stump and thinks it's a hunter, runs away. Fast.

Spence

Oh my gosh.....what an improvement in image quality / sharpness.
I learned how to upload the actual footage file from my camera format to YouTube without first converting it to the Microsoft Windows .wmv format.
So now there is no loss in “image quality” due to any conversion”¦if you can spare 3 minutes again, watch this version and see if it isn’t much sharper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Oiua9B-OI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video Round ball . So clear and sharp I could almost smell the pine and feel the breeze.

My goal is to get a take-down shot of a gobbler using a Flintlock this season...but really don't care if its Jake or a bearded Hen, LOL...if a beard shows up, well...you know

Good footage :thumbsup: , thats how it goes. Deer show up when turkey hunting and turkeys show up when your deer hunting. That would have been an easy shot with that single pellet turkey load.

There's a country road 150 - 200 yards straight down across the end of that little greenfield where they were staring...I suspect somebody was walking along there, or stopped to look at my decoys or something...she didn't "white flag" but she definitely decided to get out of dodge !

Back