• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28ga, .58 cal. Smooth rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Thompson Center made one rifle, now discontinued, that seemed to cross the gap between traditional and the modern "muzzle loading" rifles. At a distance it looked like maybe it was lever action, but then there's no lever and a ramrod is seen. Very pretty rifles, and not too "offending" to the eye of a traditionalist (imho) with about the same amount of metal to wood as an H&A Underhammer (which does meet our criteria).

I often thought that they should've made them in .54 and .58 instead of the .50 and .54 versions, as the .58 might've found a niche.

A 24 gauge won't blow up the squirrels unless you're literally right on top of them..., because you have no choke. What you will likely get is a pretty good pattern at 25 yards... if you use the Skychief Load . What it will also do is give you a round ball that will hammer deer, likely out to 50 yards or so.

LD
This thing is a CVA 'Blazer' so it's a weird. Thanks for the advice, LD. Stay tuned for riveting range news!

Let's thank Griffiga for the table of smooth bore diameters and choke dimensions.

Look at the attachment.
Thank you, Griffiga! The table is excellent, and I did not know the measurements on chokes. The error in the 12 gauge column is duly noted.

It is my understanding that shotgun barrels are not held to the same tolerances as rifle barrels, and that for any given gauge or shotgun bore size, there is a small but acceptable range of variance. Is there a handy table that shows these gauge "ranges"?

Notchy Bob

Thank you, Griffiga! The table is excellent, and I did not know the measurements on chokes. The error in the 12 gauge column is duly noted.

It is my understanding that shotgun barrels are not held to the same tolerances as rifle barrels, and that for any given gauge or shotgun bore size, there is a small but acceptable range of variance. Is there a handy table that shows these gauge "ranges"?

Notchy Bob
True, some of my old originals tend to be a bit larger. I don't know if it's because of lower tolerances of the time, or just worn from use. But they are still close.

Last edited:
Back