• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a .50, double patched. Mainly 'cause I have hundreds of them from before I converted my .50 to .54 smooth. Reasonable accuracy out to 50 yards. Of course 'reasonable' is a relative term. I'd say good enough to hit a beaver at 50 yards. (I know, because I did that.)

Frenchman said:
Was wondering what size patches ball does one shot for a 28 ga. :hmm:
In true .540" bores, I've had essentially rifle-like accuracy at the 50yds I've zeroed them, in GM and Rice .54cal smoothbores using Hornady .520" + .020" Oxyoke precut/prelubed patches, 90grns Goex 3F.

Actual bore diameter determines the correct sized ball to use in any smoothbore. Generally you want a ball that is .015-.020" SMALLER than your exact bore diameter. The NOMINAL bore diameter for a 28 gauge is .550". That is why the .530" diameter lead ball, with a mattress ticking patch of .015-.018" thickness( to allow for compression of the cotton fibers) is recommended. :hatsoff:

I use .530 round balls in my 28 gauge. It makes an ideal candle shoot gun! :idunno: :idunno:

Mike's correct, Paul's legally right :blah: The better answer is to first mike the bore, then select a ball, patch, powder combo that works for you. .530, or .535 is a good ballpark, but RB's .520 will also work with the right patching/powder. Everytime someone, generally a newb asks for the best load for a bore size, there are a gazillion answers, and that's because with blackpowder guns it's a matter of choice, weather, likes, dislikes, and folklore. That's the fun of this hobby.

Bill

Latest posts

Back