• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28 Ga Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd sure do your own testing of any loads you hear about to find out just how far off you can achieve reliable pattern density, along with optimum shot size for penetration. I've clanked a whole lot of birds over the years with modern 28's, but never considered it a "turkey" gun. Of course it's not a "goose" gun either, but I dropped two large Canadas with two fast shots. At around 8 and 12 yards when I jumped them on a creek while pheasant hunting with 3/4 oz loads. Intentional head and neck shots for sure, but I kinda doubt I'd have had reliable hits at 20 yards.

Still trying to kill one with a .54 smooth rifle with a 15/16 barrel so I use a heavy shot load and 60 grains of fff only good for about 20 yds. Penetration is good. Just trying to get a good pattern. shot is about 1 1/8 oz. wouldn't use that much in a shotgun barrel.
Pappy

My opinion it's to small unless you are talking about real close. So my answer is a Round ball. :)

Larry

Yes! Start at about 70 grs fffg, in a smoothbore 54 rifle, 28 ga. Less in a shotgun.
Overpowder wad, then a circle fly fiber wad. Ounce and a quarter of #6 shot, wrapped in butcher paper with tied ends. Tear off front tie, RAM home. Over shot card and prime pan...flintlock. Shoot your load for pattern and distance.
I'm Two for two years,it works like a charm!!
Get to the range! Good luck!! :hatsoff:

3D6AEA31-A43F-4248-9034-5495EA4DF11F_zpsdzanyshw.jpg

Many states limit shotgun size to 20 gauge or larger for turkeys.

Spence

larry wv said:
Isn't 1 1/4 oz a bit much for a 28 ga?

Larry
Mr. Larry wv- I would normally agree with your thought that this shot amount is a lot for a 28 gauge, with 3/4 oz. being a normal load in 28 gauge shells. However, for turkeys more shot seems to be more effective than the usual load for shooting flying birds. It may be that a very heavy-seeming load is OK for the turkeys on the ground as they are not moving very fast compared to birds on the wing; therefore the heavy load which would not deliver all the shot to a nice pattern is still good. The large slower pellet mass just keeps on plowing through the same area where the turkey is at, instead of the case with a flying bird where most of the pellets in the heavy load would be too slow and spread out to be a good load. It seems that a lighter, faster load is the ticket for flying birds though, as such a smaller mass of pellets tends to hit the quickly flying target in an efficient, simultaneous hard smack. At least that is how I look at it, and with my 20 gauge I have used 1 1/2 oz. of shot with good results on turkeys (some folks use even more shot).

85 grains 3f powder, fiber wad, 85 grains shot ( no. 4 ) second fiber wad. worked in my caywood 28 ga. tradegun.

May I ask what 28ga gun it is that you have? For example, my 28ga has a 15/16" straight octagon barrel with rifle sights, making it a smoothrifle, so is MUCH stronger and can handle heavier loads than a nice light thin walled fowler-type 28ga would be safe with. With that said, and the understanding that these may not be safe if your gun is one of the nice light (weak) ones, here are my loads:

28ga:
small game: 60gr FFFg, 2 cardboard OP cards, 1 oz #6 shot, 1 OS card

turkey: 70gr FFFg, 1 cardboard OP card, 6" jute cord frayed into a ball of fiber for use as TOW, 1 more cardboard OP card, 1 7/8 oz #6 shot, 1 OS card

Light: 55grs FFFG, 3 cards, 3/4 oz #6 shot, 1 card
>
>Heavy: 70 grs FFFg, 2 cards, 6" jute twine nest, 1.5oz shot, 1 card
>
>PRB: 80grs FFFg, 4 cards, patched .527" ball

And as was said by one of the first few posters, make sure you pattern any load you want to use before you actually hunt with it, because any of our loads may pattern well in your gun, or they may not pattern at all.

agree with ya,my 20ga load is 2oz shot and Ffg powder.Won't list the amount of it as I don't care for lectures :wink: Pattern is quite dense and 7.5/4 shot mixed took a good sized turkey 2yrs ago at better than 25yds.work up your load slowly,test penetration with a tuna can and have at it.I used Ffg to try and keep pressures low.

Latest posts

Back