• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28 ga loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently had a pedersoli 50 flintlock bored to 54 smooth bore by Bobby Hoyt. Wondering if any of you had a suggested starting shot load for the 28 gauge. Going to work up a load for squirrel season.

I put 55 grains 3f and 60 grains of #6 shot down the tube, 44 Inch, with paper was over powder and over shot. It takes squirrels to 25 yds

You know you HAVE to show picks of the gun and the game, or it doesn't count.
I Us 40 grins op card paper shot cup and 60 grins eq shot and os card or 55 grins op card 70 grins eq shot and a os card and any thing in between.Mine has a 36 “ barrel and shoots to 25 yds.Gotta remember each one is like a women ,no two are the same or like the same things so range time is your friend.

28 ga - 60FFF/80 #5/6
CC10498C-C7E2-4DA7-BC99-CF3A2F0704D2.jpg

I shoot 55 grain FF and 7/8 ouncw shot in my 28 gauge using a paper shot cartridge over two leather wads.

My 7/8th ounce scoop tends to really hold 13/16th of shot when I level a scoop of #7, 7.5 or 8 shot. I use a scoop of powder, a hard card, a scoop of shot and a over-shot card. I have used a different measure as well as trying #6 shot, but it didn't pattern as well. I have also set the scoop to 3/4 ounce and tried that with powder and shot. The velocity difference was quite a bit more than I anticipated (much lower with 3/4 ounce scoop of powder) and the patterns no better, so I stick with the 7/8th scoop.

70 grains three f .530 prb
Wow! My load for rb, almost exactly. I used 70 gr 2Fg Goex and .012 cotton patch in a 42" Numerich bbl that Mr. Hoyt re-bored from a 50 to 54 cal with 1-66" twist rifling in the bbl.
I built an Early Lancaster's with Coleraine swamped bbls, both are 44": #1 is a 1-66" rifle and the other an exact copy but a smooth-rifle. The rifle spits a .530 rb wrapped in a .015 cotton patch on a charge of 70 gr Goex FFg. The smooth rifle rb load uses all the same with the exception of a .012 cotton patch. The shot load is 70 gr of Goex FFg, under an over-powder card topped with a cushion wad,. (I only use 1/2 wad), then 100 grains (Measured) of the size shot I'm using. The only variance is varies only in the size of shot (#5 to #9) I'm using. This method is the old way of measured charging a smooth barrel. I made a special shot/powder measure for a smoothbore or smooth-rifle Hopefully the pictures of my smooth pouch has the charger on top. If anyone wants an instruction sheet on making it, drop me a PM with "Smoothie Charger" as topic.

Last edited:
70 grains three f .530 prb
Wow! My load for rb, almost exactly. I used 70 gr 2Fg Goex and .012 cotton patch in a 42" Numerich bbl that Mr. Hoyt re-bored from a 50 to 54 cal with 1-66" twist rifling in the bbl.
I built an Early Lancaster's with Coleraine swamped bbls, both are 44": #1 is a 1-66" rifle and the other an exact copy but a smooth-rifle. The rifle spits a .530 rb wrapped in a .015 cotton patch on a charge of 70 gr Goex FFg. The smooth rifle rb load uses all the same with the exception of a .012 cotton patch. The shot load is 70 gr of Goex FFg, under an over-powder card topped with a cushion wad,. (I only use 1/2 wad), then 100 grains (Measured) of the size shot I'm using. The only variance is varies only in the size of shot (#5 to #9) I'm using. This method is the old way of measured charging a smooth barrel. I made a special shot/powder measure for a smoothbore or smooth-rifle Hopefully the pictures of my smooth pouch has the charger on top. If anyone wants an instruction sheet on making it, drop me a PM with"Smooth Charger" as topic.

1 oz #4s and equal volume of powder plus all the various card and or wad combos that may or may not work. Mine had a 48 inch barrel and shot very tight patterns

Back