• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.250 Round Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

Need advice on obtaining .250 round ball for a percussion rifle. #3 buckshot seems to be the correct size but should I be concerned about shooting alloy lead from an antique rifle?

I would also like to find an affordable source.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello All,

Need advice on obtaining .250 round ball for a percussion rifle. #3 buckshot seems to be the correct size but should I be concerned about shooting alloy lead from an antique rifle?

Thanks,

Jeff
Probably no concern, but let's see what the peanut gallery says!

Hello All,

Thanks,

Jeff
I have used 1-1/2 buck from Ballisic Products in my 32 caliber guns with good success. They tell you it is hardened lead, and the samples I have checked were around 8 BHN. Probably similar to a 40-1 mix. If you are concerned about that being unsuitable for an antique gun, you probably shouldn’t be shooting that gun.

FYI, the Ballistic Products ‘Superbuck’, if in stock, is just under $40 for an 8 pound container, probably 2400 pieces of #3 buck. I forget what shipping was, but would imagine it has gone up.

Tanner molds. They are in England but I’ve ordered three molds from them and all arrived in less than ten days. Any size you can imagine. They are so pretty you hate to even use them.

https://www.ballmoulds.com/
I have a .601 Tanner mould. They are pretty, but I got over it. They are also on the pricy side, but they cast accurate balls.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I built a “poorboy” from Jed. Starr with a .32/42" swamped GMB, and have used buckshot on occasion. My question is: if the ball is patched(and the patch is lubed), and you’re not “pounding” the ball down the barrel, the why is a little extra hardness a concern? Mostly, I use the Hornady .310’s, but a “lifetime supply of #1’s, .300, also Hornady, landed in my lap, and I have enjoyed “plinking” with the .300’s and a friend’s 8th grade history class; annual "field trip”to see how hard it is to load, shoot, and hit a target at three rounds per minute.

Hello All,

Thanks,

Jeff
It may go against the grain to mention it. I was watching catapult on utube. I find eBay great quantities of steel balls for catapults dead cheap. I guess bearing rejects bought some as I have a .36 double percussion and also sabots Not tried it as of yet but they would work with a patch. In areas where lead is banned. Of course being lighter they won’t have the same energy level But may be more accurate and have higher velocity. I cannot see them harming the bore. It’s an interesting passing though , no more than that

Thanks everyone for the replies. BPI did indeed have .250 round ball (#3 buckshot) available. Shipping cost was not too bad. When my order arrives I will have quite a surplus on hand should anyone need some.

This gun is in very good condition and based on the advice I received here I will not be concerned about bore erosion. This is my second original percussion rifle, if it shoots as well as the first it should be accurate enough for squirrel hunting.

Thank you all again.

Jeff

I have a very nice .25 caliber custom percussion Kentucky and have used BPI's #3 buck in it for years.
Very accurate buck I might add.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You can buy .300 and .350 airgun Pellets probably only on uk eBay They come from Chezlovakia I bought some out of interest £16/100. But where are they so no photo ??? they are nice for ml I thought for squirrels not to mention wild Turkey

What one has to do. Found them

The .300 come in at 45gr and the .35 are 82gr. They would be great in a .35ml loader

Attachments

• A33B71C7-16D9-469E-8100-C9C437778387.jpeg
    A33B71C7-16D9-469E-8100-C9C437778387.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 5433D8A5-C648-4CE8-B40C-EBD91824FC80.jpeg
    5433D8A5-C648-4CE8-B40C-EBD91824FC80.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8ECCF92E-4030-4058-A3DC-61426922B2A0.jpeg
    8ECCF92E-4030-4058-A3DC-61426922B2A0.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back