• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.25 CALIBER HALFSTOCK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Shot my .25 caliber half stock for the first time this weekend. I picked it up in June with some known problems for use as a squirrel rifle. The lock would not hold in full cock but Ackermann Arms in Cherry Valley, NY quickly repaired it at a very reasonable cost. A member here helped me locate .250 round ball at Ballistic Products.

Problems solved we headed for the farm Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning's weather was beautiful and there were more acorns falling and on the ground then I have seen in years. The attached pic shows a 25 yard loose group. I am very happy with the rifle but certainly not getting squirrel hunting accuracy yet. I plan to try a thicker patch material and continue load development before any sight adjustment. The load was #3 Buckshot (.254" dia) with 22 grains of 3F.

I may widen the rear sight notch slightly and install a hood to lessen sun light reflecting from it. Viewing the rear sight in alternating shade and sun was more guess work then a sure thing. Suggestions on .25 caliber loads and what to fabricate a sight hood from would be appreciated.

Jeff
Image (12).jpeg

You might try 10 grains. I built a 22 calibre muzzleloader that shot BB size lead and a 22 long case of 3fg. It was very accurate at 50 feet, basically one hole groups.
I'll down size to 10 grains next time I shoot and use that as a starting point. Does twist rate come into play when deciding powder load? I have the breech plug out, I'll try to estimate or measure twist before I reassemble.

Jeff

Not much, faster twist with round ball “generally “ means lighter loads. But let the rifle tell you.

I've never owned a rifle smaller than .32, I'm sure that .25 wouldn't tear them up as bad... I like it.
I think the .25 should minimize damage to the good parts, if I can manage to hit them at all!

Hoping the abundance of acorns and hickory nuts this year will improve squirrel numbers in the years to come.

Come my way tree rats are a nuisance here. Destructive little buggers. They eat my blueberries, peaches, blackberries, and chew up cornice on house and garage. Plus make nit noises in the attic when they get in.
I have been known to convert a number of them into squirrel and dumplings.
And Jetmech you have a nice .25.

There was a guy that used to come to our Virginia rondy in the middle 80’s that shot a 22 cal, sounded like a fart when he shot and guys accused him of scraping spilled powder off the benches between rounds😂
I like the idea but not sure I could manage the tiny projectiles, too clumsy.
About your hood question, most anything would work, a thin piece of tin painted black slightly smaller in diameter than the flats of the barrel and slit lengthwise so it springs onto the barrel worked for me many times.

Latest posts

Back