• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.22 caliber Percussion Muzzle Loader question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, the stock was made with cheekpieces on both the left and the right.

View attachment 64424

I saw a half stock original percussion rifle in a local pawn shop with a cheek piece on each side. This was a few months back. I was tempted but it passed as it needed work and I don’t need another project. It makes sense if you have righties and lefties in the family.

I ordered some bullets from North American Arms, that are used in their mini black powder revolver, as suggested by one of the posters to this thread. I also want to try some air gun pellets but I am concerned that the pellets will be deformed when pushing down the barrel and the skirts on the pellets may be too thin and break off the pellet when firing the gun leaving the remaining skirt lodged in the breach area

I ordered some bullets from North American Arms, that are used in their mini black powder revolver, as suggested by one of the posters to this thread. I also want to try some air gun pellets but I am concerned that the pellets will be deformed when pushing down the barrel and the skirts on the pellets may be too thin and break off the pellet when firing the gun leaving the remaining skirt lodged in the breach area

I think you mentioned it previously, but they make "slugs" now for airguns that are not the conventional wasp-waisted shape, but are more your typical bullet shape. They don't have the thin skirt like a typical pellet, but have more of a concave base, almost like a minie ball, but with less of a hollow base. They are made for higher velocity PCP airguns, so they are not quite as "delicate" as the traditional pellets we are used to.

Might be worth trying a tin and see if they work.

airgun slugs

1613520002135.png

I saw a half stock original percussion rifle in a local pawn shop with a cheek piece on each side. This was a few months back. I was tempted but it passed as it needed work and I don’t need another project. It makes sense if you have righties and lefties in the family.
I shoot equally well either side, don`t have one but would not hesitate to buy a left handed gun.

I am surprised that this thread "deviated" away from the original enquiry.

Sorry for having to refer to BL revolvers, Zonie, but it is the only way for people to understand the history and development of the ML mini-revolvers.

These ".22" revolvers WERE developed by Dick Casull and then NAA, who had produced a .22"LR version for a hideout pistol. The BATF insisted that the MUZZLE-loading version had to have a longer cylinder aperture so that they could not be retro-fitted with a cartridge cylinder.
Of course a ML revolver (even made yesterday) is not a firearm under Federal Law (some states have other ideas!) so it can be transported across State lines without committing a FEDERAL offence.
When I wrote the R&Rs for the "Historic Arms Meetings" in the UK I made sure that after Dunblane (when people lost their freedom to compete with BL "handguns") that the PERCUSSION"mini-revolvers" were eligible for the "Vest Pocket Pistol" matches at 10 yards.
A very few people in the UK still have the .22RF version as a Humane Killer as it can be carried in a vest pocket -- - but in most cases they are required to have them restricted to 2 shots. I did ask Ken Friel (NAA) if they would consider making a 2-shot cylinder for us but it was not an economic proposition.

The projectiles were actually heel-based .22SHORT bullets. In the UK these are sometimes found being sold as heavy hunting bullets for .22 air rifles -- many came from Eley when they cleared out slow moving inventory --- and, of course when they stopped manufacture of .22Short rimfire cartridges because of the perceived safety risk of a flashover from one cartridge to the next during the loading process.

At one time I aked Ruger whether they would consider making a ML version of the "Redhawk" but had no response. I reckon that it would have sold like hot cakes ;-)

Back a couple of decades ago I bought 3 muzzle loading guns a guy wanted to sell fairly cheap, a .31 single shot derringer, a .31 Ducksfoot, a .22 pepperbox. The all shoot pretty well, the .22 pepperbox is all metal, brass grip with steel barrel. It is not the most accurate gun but with .22 pellets it does shoot. I loaded an empty .22 shell and poured it into the barrels. I found the perfect funnel, I ripped off one of the black plastic ear things they stick in your ear to check it. I got the biggest one and it works great for loading the little gun. The shots were kind of all over the place but at least they were in front of the gun. I think a heavier pellet would work better since the ones I used were pretty light. I tried the .22 bullets from NA but they have a "waist band" that makes it almost impossible to get down the barrel. I found a picture of the pepperbox online. It is sold by Dixie Gunworks as the "PH0313B Gold Rush Pepperbox Brass frame .22 Caliber" Apparently they were sold back in the 1990's and the ones they have for sale now are basically parts without a mainspring.

Last edited:
Could you post a pic with more details? I built a .27 smoothbore from a rusty .22 cal barrel. I use wasp nest with lube to shoot .25 RB . Powder measure is .22 LR brass X 2. I have a .22 pistol barrel I am thinking of building into shooter so I am interested in your post.
Dave

How did it shoot ?

I think you mentioned it previously, but they make "slugs" now for airguns that are not the conventional wasp-waisted shape, but are more your typical bullet shape. They don't have the thin skirt like a typical pellet, but have more of a concave base, almost like a minie ball, but with less of a hollow base. They are made for higher velocity PCP airguns, so they are not quite as "delicate" as the traditional pellets we are used to.

Might be worth trying a tin and see if they work.

airgun slugs

View attachment 64510
Check Pyramid Air for slugs.

wm

At one time I aked Ruger whether they would consider making a ML version of the "Redhawk" but had no response. I reckon that it would have sold like hot cakes ;-)

Wouldn't that be a relatively simple retrofit using barrel liners and breech plugs ?

I made two 22 cals years ago with 22 RF barrels. They shot best with Benjamin pellets. There wer few 22 cal pellet options then. I ran them through a simple size die to reduce the skirt enough to load them easily. I see pyramidair had dozens of 22 cal pellet options. Benjamin 22 balls were to large for a patch. Fiddling with 22 cal balls and patches was not easy for me. A full diameter 22 cal bullet will not go down the bore. As already pointed out a 22 LR fired case is a good measure. A little flask for a 31 cal revolver works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot the rifle a few times now using 5 grains of 3f and with 5 grains of 4f. I tried the NA arms bullets and some air rifle slugs from AVS. both weigh 30 grains, the NAA bullet is solid with a cupped base and a driving band midway on the bullet .223. The AVS slug is a spitzer shape with a pin hole hollow point and a cupped base .223. I filled the bases with mink oil and smeared theoutside of the bullet with mink oil too. Both bullets went down the bore of the .22 RF barrel that was used for this gun easily, but care has to be taken to start the bullet straight. So far I'm getting about 1.25" groups at 25 yards, but I am sure it can do better. I can't see theiron sights too well with my ageing eyes, so I am going to install a peep sight and hope for better groups. So far the 4f loads seem to group better and also "crack" like a .22 RF rifle. The 3f loads are quieter and group about 2.5" lower than the 4f loads. I am having fun playing with this gun.

Back