• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2022 summer sausage project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I try to set aside a few days at the end of each year to make venison summer sausage and breakfast sausage. By then, I usually have all the deer I need in the freezer and have the time to tackle the project. 2022 was unusual because my pile of raw materials was smaller than usual but I had enough to make around 60 pounds of summer sausage.

The recipe I use is of my own creation and something that I have been tinkering with for several years. It hasn't changed much as of late. I like my summer sausage to have a tart taste and I found the secret to getting that is to add a bacteria culture to the meat mixture and let it ferment for a day or so. You can buy it at sausagemaker.com, if anyone is interested.

Here is my mixture of herbs, spices, and liquids along with a big bowl of meat.

BK6xLTr.jpg

tXJNWxE.jpg

I have learned the hard way that making sausage is a lot easier if you have the proper equipment. A sausage press is a must!

kxKh7lR.jpg

I ended up with 53 chubs. My smoker can only hold 28 at a time so I had do this in two batches. I smoke the chubs at 175 degrees for around 7 hours and then finish them off in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees.

KkdrCCI.jpg

Once they are done cooking, I put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. After they reach an internal temperature of 100 degrees, I remove them from the cold water, towel them off, and then hang them up to dry. They will hang in our stairwell for a couple days before I vacuum seal each chub. Jake, our bloodhound, is used to the tempting meat hanging just out of reach. Our new Great Pyrenees, Daisy, spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to grab one. I think she asked Santa Claus for opposable thumbs.

vioi3yZ.jpg

nUyfzTJ.jpg

Jake and I sampled this year's batch for lunch and found it acceptable. Jake only gave my effort a B+ but hinted that the grade could go up if he had more samples to work with. I think he's trying to game the system.

AnpuTpN.jpg

Our daughter had these plates made for us for Christmas and I think they sum up the situation at our house quite succinctly.

HB0NGGv.jpg

Darren

What is the red casing you used? Size?
Those are fibrous casings. I believe those are 2.4" diameter by 12" long. They will hold 20 oz. of meat with little room to spare.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have it down to a perfect system. Is that an electric smoker or wood fired?

I have a 40" vertical electric smoker. It takes wood chips or pellets in its pan. I am not skilled enough with a charcoal wood smoker to be able to maintain the low temperature I need for smoking my summer sausage. I have one and the temperature was either 150 degrees or 350 degrees - very hard to regulate.

Darren

good deal, getting ready here to start making deer bologna soon myself, got the snack sticks made bologna is next, then jerky.

I try to set aside a few days at the end of each year to make venison summer sausage and breakfast sausage. By then, I usually have all the deer I need in the freezer and have the time to tackle the project. 2022 was unusual because my pile of raw materials was smaller than usual but I had enough to make around 60 pounds of summer sausage.

The recipe I use is of my own creation and something that I have been tinkering with for several years. It hasn't changed much as of late. I like my summer sausage to have a tart taste and I found the secret to getting that is to add a bacteria culture to the meat mixture and let it ferment for a day or so. You can buy it at sausagemaker.com, if anyone is interested.

Here is my mixture of herbs, spices, and liquids along with a big bowl of meat.

BK6xLTr.jpg

tXJNWxE.jpg

I have learned the hard way that making sausage is a lot easier if you have the proper equipment. A sausage press is a must!

kxKh7lR.jpg

I ended up with 53 chubs. My smoker can only hold 28 at a time so I had do this in two batches. I smoke the chubs at 175 degrees for around 7 hours and then finish them off in the oven until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees.

KkdrCCI.jpg

Once they are done cooking, I put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. After they reach an internal temperature of 100 degrees, I remove them from the cold water, towel them off, and then hang them up to dry. They will hang in our stairwell for a couple days before I vacuum seal each chub. Jake, our bloodhound, is used to the tempting meat hanging just out of reach. Our new Great Pyrenees, Daisy, spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to grab one. I think she asked Santa Claus for opposable thumbs.

vioi3yZ.jpg

nUyfzTJ.jpg

Jake and I sampled this year's batch for lunch and found it acceptable. Jake only gave my effort a B+ but hinted that the grade could go up if he had more samples to work with. I think he's trying to game the system.

AnpuTpN.jpg

Our daughter had these plates made for us for Christmas and I think they sum up the situation at our house quite succinctly.

HB0NGGv.jpg

Darren
I recently got a stuffer like yours. I love the large base, allows me to work by myself. And the twin speed is nice. I started with a 3lb horn, all muscle and lots of blowby.
I like mustard seed in most my sausage. I'll make summer sausage soon. Making brats, Italian now.

I like to brown the sausage in a pan. Then add some water and grapes cut in half and some thin sliced onion. Cover it and let it cook for 10 or 15 minutes. Til the sausages are around 160. Douse it all with balsamic vinegar to serve.

I like to brown the sausage in a pan. Then add some water and grapes cut in half and some thin sliced onion. Cover it and let it cook for 10 or 15 minutes. Til the sausages are around 160. Douse it all with balsamic vinegar to serve.
I've never tried balsamic on brats, but it definitely sounds good. I'm give it a go. Thanks.

I really like making sausage, good therapy. I didn't know you could get a smoke taste with the fibrous casing. What breed of dog is that?

Back