• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2022 Plains deer hunt report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Congratulations to the both of you! That's a STUD of a mulie! If your interested in entering it in the Longhunters Society records let me know as I'm an official measure for LHS, B&C.

You had a real hunt. In every way. You employed your best field craft to take a real trophy animal with a primitive weapon under challenging conditions. Think about the poor guy who zings one of those mulies at 520 yards with a stainless steel and plastic rifle on a tripod and sporting the latest Hubble Telescope with laser range finder. You in fact really achieved something. Thank you for sharing your field story.

Had a great week hunting with an old friend on the plains. Mornings were spent watching for mule deer and evenings were for whitetail sits. He had been to Colorado 3 times and this time he would finally fill his tag. I had him setup on a good trail and very nice 8 point whitetail came in to 25 yards. He took a 58 caliber round ball and quickly expired.

My hunt was a bit more tedious. I had spotted a couple of mature mule deer in an agriculture field and made a stalk in windy conditions on Tuesday. That resulted in getting to within 15 yards of them but before I spotted them they spotted me and the resulting running shot was a miss. Wed, Thurs and Fri passed with no more sightings. My son came out Fri night and he and I teamed up on the spotters picking apart a 400 acre field. They were quite good at hiding but finally at 8:30 am I spotted antlers moving. We blew a stalk at 10 am and they remained in the field. We blew another stalk at 2 pm but again, they remained in the field.

After a quick consultation, I went downwind and circled about 1 mile around the field. At 5 pm they stood up and began feeding north. I was southwest of them so this posed a problem. My son decided to stand up so they became aware of him and started moving towards them from 400 yards away. He actually got to 160 yards on them when they had enough and turned southwest.

I couldn't see the deer due to a small rise in front of me. Suddenly at 100 yards I had 3 wide mule deer racks bobbing towards me. On they came, quickly cutting the distance. This was going to be close and fast. The buck I wanted was in the lead and when his head came into view at 20 yards, I aimed at the middle of his neck and dropped him in his tracks. Approx 100 grains of Swiss ffg and a .570 roundball is hard on deer at close range. This has been my 3rd buck in 3 years with this load and it works great. Few pics of the deer and the recovered roundball.

Great strategy, shooting and harvest!

Have wanted to do an eastern colorado mule deer hunt with my flinter for awhile. Hard to do with mostly private land access. Congrats on one hell of a buck!

Great way of getting them to spook to you! Doesn't always work that way lol. That is one hell of a buck, congratulations!

Wow! What a fine trophy buck, and that rack is awesome. Good gun, good shot and an even better buck.

Had a great week hunting with an old friend on the plains. Mornings were spent watching for mule deer and evenings were for whitetail sits. He had been to Colorado 3 times and this time he would finally fill his tag. I had him setup on a good trail and very nice 8 point whitetail came in to 25 yards. He took a 58 caliber round ball and quickly expired.

My hunt was a bit more tedious. I had spotted a couple of mature mule deer in an agriculture field and made a stalk in windy conditions on Tuesday. That resulted in getting to within 15 yards of them but before I spotted them they spotted me and the resulting running shot was a miss. Wed, Thurs and Fri passed with no more sightings. My son came out Fri night and he and I teamed up on the spotters picking apart a 400 acre field. They were quite good at hiding but finally at 8:30 am I spotted antlers moving. We blew a stalk at 10 am and they remained in the field. We blew another stalk at 2 pm but again, they remained in the field.

After a quick consultation, I went downwind and circled about 1 mile around the field. At 5 pm they stood up and began feeding north. I was southwest of them so this posed a problem. My son decided to stand up so they became aware of him and started moving towards them from 400 yards away. He actually got to 160 yards on them when they had enough and turned southwest.

I couldn't see the deer due to a small rise in front of me. Suddenly at 100 yards I had 3 wide mule deer racks bobbing towards me. On they came, quickly cutting the distance. This was going to be close and fast. The buck I wanted was in the lead and when his head came into view at 20 yards, I aimed at the middle of his neck and dropped him in his tracks. Approx 100 grains of Swiss ffg and a .570 roundball is hard on deer at close range. This has been my 3rd buck in 3 years with this load and it works great. Few pics of the deer and the recovered roundball.

Beautiful!

Fantastic deer! .570 roundball performed very well. I just can't figure out how you can hit anything with the lock on the wrong side of that beautiful rifle.

Wow! I would have been so nervous I would have had to aim at his body instead of his smaller neck. Great shot, well written.
Mike, Its hard to tell in the photo but that uncut milo was dang near as high as their backs. Once he got that close I made a quick call on shot placement and it worked out. I do normally shoot for lungs. Appreciate your post.

Fantastic deer! .570 roundball performed very well. I just can't figure out how you can hit anything with the lock on the wrong side of that beautiful rifle.
The gentleman I bought it from wouldn't even discount it with that obvious defect. But we stay in touch and he is a true gentleman.

Back