• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2021 NMLRA Spring Shoot - Newbie questions!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folk,

Complete newbie to muzzleloading here but had thought it a good idea to go up and visit the NMLRA spring shoot last year... then it was cancelled!

Looks like better chances this time round, so wanted to ask a little bit what to expect and what's on offer from folks who've been there. I've been through the NMLRA page so have a general notion that there's various competitions going on, vendors and crafts set up, and camping - but not real clear on how someone completely new can participate!

Specific to my case, I was thinking for coming up for the first weekend to look around, meet some people, shop, but I'd love to know if there's a chance to do some shooting, either just plinking or something more exciting like a match or a woods walk. Should I bother bringing my own rifle? I'm not clear A) if there's a chance for someone who hasn't participated in feeder competitions to shoot and B) my poor ol' smokepole has an unmentionable little fiber optic thingy on the front (bad eyes...) so not clear if that's allowed anywhere. My brief chat with one of the NMLRA volunteers made it sound like I could sign up to try out shooting a flintlock, but didn't offer up specifics on any other shooting I could do!

Any advice greatly appreciated! S/F

Go the Off Hand Range and seek out the Range Officer, he will help you or find someone to do so.

Walk along the road parallel to the ranges and stand back and watch. You can learn a lot just by observing.

Do not bother folks while they are shooting.

Get a copy of the Range Rules, you can learn a lot from reading it.

It will be very busy since there was no shoots last year.

The Primitive Range and the other ranges are a good ways apart

Pre register for the shoot before your get there, that will save you some time and hassle.

You coming for the day and or camping?

Most any match you can shoot without having to pre qualify. Find one that interest you and shoot it.

Best advice that I will echo, where ever you shoot, let the range officer know you are new. They will help you and help keep you out of trouble. Sometimes some range officers can come across as harsh. But I found if you let them know you are new, they will keep a close eye on you and are a little more friendly.

Woodswalk is a good place too shoot. Hop in with a group and shoot. Dont be afraid to ask and let them know you are a first timer.

I know it can be a bit much the first time or two. But most are great people and will help if you ask them.

Dont blow down your barrel. Also keep muzzle pointed up, not down. Keep powder with a lid on it or covered from sparks.

Dont worry if you dont have the nicest fanciest gun. Or if you have a front sight in a different color so you can see it.

I am going to be at Atterbury shooting the long range ML matches the first Saturday and Sunday.

My first few times I did not know anyone. Walk around the camp ground after shooting with a drink in your hand. I was surprised the number of people that invited me in to sit a spell and share a drink, food and conversation.

Dont be afraid to give me a call if you want to visit about your first trip to Friendship.

Art Fleener
NMLRA Secretary
515 291 9208

S/F,
Just coming by the grounds to stroll around, shop, and generally "visit" with folks is a GREAT idea. You'll get more knowledge, and be able to put your hands on a wider variety of muzzleloading firearms there, than just about any other venue I can think of. Many of the biggest names in muzzleloading will be there and I've always found folks to be happy to chat with even the most inexperienced "newbie" around. Coupla things to keep in mind when you're considering visiting Friendship during the upcoming Spring Shoot if you're thinking about possibly shooting while you're there.
1. Your post doesn't mention if you're an NMLRA member. If you want to shoot, you must be a member of the NMLRA. Minimum annual membership is $35.00.
2. If you want to shoot while you're there...you must register for the Spring Shoot. Registration for the shoot is $50.00.
So...if you're not already a member of the NMLRA, to fire one shot: $85.00 minimum, plus the fee for each match you choose to shoot.
3. Your fiber optic sight won't qualify for any match designated "primitive sights", but there are a lot of opportunities for "any sight".
Come by and enjoy the day whether you shoot or not. It's a fantastic opportunity to immerse yourself in this great sport.

Be sure too walk thru the Primitive range and camps as well!

There’s several matches and a range for plinking!

Back