• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still getting some tomatos but I'm throwing away more than should be legal.And still giving away more than I can use. All the rain we've got lately is causing the tomatos to split. I dug a deep hole and have been throwing the bad tomatos into it and burying them,deep enough to keep volunteer plants from coming up. Hybrid volunteers don't taste that good. Most of my plants were heirlooms but there was a couple of hybrids out there, so if any volunteers come up it's anyone's guess what variety they are.Time to dig another hole and pull up some more plants. Luckily there's a guy down the road that will feed tomatos to his chickens. Shame there aren't any hog farmers around here.

Would anyone or someone let me know if they ever seen tomatos still producing this late in the season and this is South Texas we're talking about. But we haven't reached 100 degrees yet either. They are usually about petered out in June.

We had an unusual season so far. Snowed after I put the onions in. 3 months later they are fine. Tough little buggers.
We have had 3 heat waves into the upper 90's along with the drought. Now we have had a surplus of rain in just the last three weeks. With another inch coming in tomorrow I figured it was time to haul in some of the garlic to the barn. It wont like another drenching right before harvest. It would split open. A couple weeks early, but the heat matured it faster than I wanted.
Pleased to say, so far, what I see is fantastic! The bulbs are big, fine looking and tight. The Inchelium Red is up to 3 1/4" size, and the Transylvanian is up to 3 1/2". Big girls like those sell out in the first week of hitting the farm stand. I'll take pictures in a couple of weeks after I can brush the dirt off and show the colors. :thumb:

So...,

I have tomatoes
Cayenne peppers
Cherry Peppers
Wiri Wiri Peppers
(had to look hard for them) they are an heirloom plant from the Demerara region of South America and the Dutch colony of that name. The Dutch West Indies Company established a colony there in the late 17th century, which was occupied in 1796 by the British, and became part of The British West Indies and the colony of British Guyana. My wife is from there and supposedly these have a distinct flavor. We will see.
Bush string beans
Bell Peppers
Kholrabi aka German turnips..., they are documented as far back as the 16th century in Italy. This is my only other heirloom plant this season. I wanted something I can't find in my local stores
and green onions I bought at the market, and replanted

I'm trying DIY made self-watering planters to see if they work well before I plant a more extensive garden with some heirloom seeds from the black powder era. I will try to get some good photos and post them.

Applying "square foot gardening" as well.

I got a late start this year, so the plants are not very large or not even up yet regarding the beans...

LD

I think I'll plant a few tomato seeds tomorrow and see if I can get any to mature before the first frost. Heirlooms take a little longer than Hybrids. I wish I'd have done it several weeks ago. But I never had much luck with fall gardens, it's just too hot down here.

Here in Central EU we had a "proper" winter this year with - 25 deg C (-13F) for few weeks. This used to be common when I was a kid, but quite rare lately. This cold seems to have given a good very much needed kick to many plants.

I never before had so much cherries and blackcurrants as this year, as well as serviceberry. Some plants like like blackberries were almost killed by the frost :-( so nothing from them. (I have a thornless variety - evidently it doesn't handle cold very well). Apples look good, but are not ready yet. Also, few species of domesticated blueberries had lots of fruit.

Vegetables as per usual.

Might get the tiller out tomorrow, most of the garden is finished and those leaves that I used for mulch need to be "plowed under".

Anybody know how long store bought seed are good for?
Bought a whole box full of pumpkin seeds that are from 2019 at a second hand store.

best bet is just start some indoors weeks BEFORE you plan to plant. . . .if you plant 10 seeds and 8 or 9 sprout, you're good to go. If you plant 10 seeds and less that half sprout. . . . maybe they are out of date.

Is anyone besides myself experiencing a slowdown in Okra production? In the past it was a daily task picking the pods before they got too big. Now I can skip a day and there are still some not ready. And not a whole lot of pods period. We have been experiencing more rainfall than usual, too much water maybe? I planted the Clemson Spineless variety this year.

My garden is done for, picked squash and the worms just started showing up. Had to plant my garden 3 times, severe late frost and a month later had 2in hail storm.

Is anyone besides myself experiencing a slowdown in Okra production? In the past it was a daily task picking the pods before they got too big. Now I can skip a day and there are still some not ready. And not a whole lot of pods period. We have been experiencing more rainfall than usual, too much water maybe? I planted the Clemson Spineless variety this year.
Okra is really going strong now in NE KS, hot and humid.

NE Missouri's garden 1 1/2 acres doing pretty well considering late frost, heavy rains at times. Weeds got part of it due to rain but overall not bad. Management (wife) jelly making started early - violet, dandelion, clover, to strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, gooseberry, peach, cherry, elderberry (now) and paw-paws nearly ready. Wild plums, pears, and apples got frost. Grapes still green. Strange year.

We buy our plants from Amish greenhouse, solar and wood heat, acclimated to our farm, also seeds mostly. Kraut pickling now, other pickling - bread & butter, dill, etc. Tomatoes are here - salsa, juice, canned, spaghetti sauce, etc. along with peppers.
Other stuff - equally good. Broom corn ready to "table", gourds, punkins, Indian corn, squash. Planted turnips yesterday. Coons killing chickens, trap set.

With the way the Sun is, record heat and Smoke from Fires, the Weeds are Thriving and the Fruit is hiding, grass does not want to go green (except in the shade).

3FLfCFI.jpg

I've had some strange red raspberry hybrid growing around the edge of my yard for several years now. Something the birds planted. Every year they get more numerous, and the wild local black raspberries that I try to encourage get less and less. This year the red ones have an amazing amount of fruit, but, they go from not quite ripe to ripe to seeming like they are starting to ferment in a matter of hours. Very weird. I blame all the rain and heat.

Latest posts

Back