• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210618_091136-1c6fb2ba49ba8a483.jpg

20210618_091230-1563c2df778eaec3f.jpg

Tomatoes doing well after 5 weeks in the ground. 116°F later today.
Here is a real surprise: jalapenos in June.
Salsa ahead!
20210618_091308-1aea470f642c3e56e.jpg

Last edited:
I picked some strange tomatos yesterday. From a Pink Brandywine plant I pulled about 6 or 7 small red tomatos. Which is strange in itself. A Brandywine is an indeterminate plant that don't produce alot of tomatos all at once and they are beefsteak , as in large fruited. These tomatos are small like 3-4 ounces, pithy, and not very tasty. Brandywines are a fairly tasteful tomato. Is it probable that this Brandywine cross pollinated with a Large Red Cherry or a Cheroke Purple each of which are right next to the brandywine? All of the above are heirlooms. Flavor wise they almost seem like they crossed with a hybrid , is that possible? Can a determinate cross with an indeterminate? I saved some seeds just in case I accidentally bred a new variety.I'll try and send a picture or 2 directly.

Not sure if the following answers your question or even applies:

"All heirloom tomatoes are open-pollinated. Open-pollinated varieties will come true from seeds, but hybrids are created by seed companies who carefully crossing two parent plants to yield seeds for the hybrid variety. So hybrid varieties will not breed true."

Here is the picture
20210618_203014.jpg
but as I've stated something is wrong. These were picked from a Pink Brandywine
They should be right at 20 ounces and tasty

Great,my wife's favorite tomato and I planted extra Cheery tomatos just for her. Now they're producing like crazy and now the Dr. tells her to avoid all Nightshade fruits due to an arthritis flare up. In the past I have always enjoyed sharing my garden with others, and still do. But it can be a job sometimes.

I got our tomatoes planted and our peppers in by Memorial Day. Yellow squash too. The first time for that. Plus beans. Now it’s water,weed,and wait time.

Here is a
Leaf
From my new
Pear tree
Any idea
Why the
Brown spots?
Thanks!

Jim in La Luz
😎
IMG_20210627_080921142.jpg

Not my garden but the famers around me: Watching their winter wheat and chomping at the bit to combine it. They want soybeans planted by the 4th for a fall crop.
My garden: deer or rabbits ate all our chard. Gotta stop feeding the barn cat. She gets lazy.

Now your talkin'! I have over 1300 that need another 5 weeks. Right now when I brush away the dirt, the Transylvanian variety is already over 2"!

Attachments

• DSCN0718 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0718 (1024x768).jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0719 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0719 (1024x768).jpg
    596 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0720 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0720 (1024x768).jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0721 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0721 (1024x768).jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 42
I hate you people with ripe tomatoes :thumb:, mine are just set fruit. I'll have to settle for lettuce and snap peas for now. Blueberries are starting to turn, might have fresh blueberry crepes for July 4th
It's sad to see another growing season about over (down here anyway) I've aleady pulled up a few tomato plants but I still got some producing tomatos plants.But hey it's almost July and getting hotter by the day. The garden already lasted longer than one usually does down here in South Texas.I blame that on the rainfall we had a few weeks ago.In fact I have never seen tomatos produce up to July.It's been a good year, over 20 people have eaten tomatos out of my garden and no bugs for a change.

Back