• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have we got somekind of new hybrid okra or something? Seeds that I planted on the 1st are just now poppoing up today. I don't recall ever seeing anything that slow in germinating. I had already written them off and was gonna use that row for some extra bell peppers. I'm like coloradoclyde and I'm running out of space.

What's the trinity site and why would I want green glass in my garden ?
You've never heard of the Trinity site??!! It's where the first atomic bomb was tested, about two hours northwest of where Jim lives. The green glass was a radioactive byproduct of that test. Obviously I was joking with him about collecting green glass from the site.
After the test was over and the site deactivated locals would go to the site to picnic and pick up the pretty green glass all over the place............ That was before we know just how dangerous this form of radioactivity was.

The actual site itself is now safe but the green glass is still all over and still radioactive and not to be picked up.

R8fb67ad2ccdda45c1f6c711825350475

Last edited:
Is it just me or do the gardens seem "Late" this year? Seems like I should be eating fresh tomatos by now.Oh, spring has been here for over a month and we did have a big freeze in Febuary (here in Texas anyway) Maybe we're just experiencing what you guys up North call normal?
We get fresh tomatoes now in Lancaster PA.
The Amish grow hot house tomatoes. Start them early indoors and then move them into the soil big hoop house structures. The first are just coming in.
I like them very well. Are they as good as the old fashioned high summer tomato? I sort of doubt they are quite that good. But they are very welcome.

My neighbor farms two places around here. He says stone is his most consistent crop.
My neighbor farms two places around here. He says stone is his most consistent crop.
My front yard is nicely xeriscaped however my back yard has been reclaimed by the high desert........... It's not high on my priority to do list. I do have a grape vine that I've been trying to kill for a couple of years, darn things are hardy.

I had a thumb-sized piece of the green glass when I was a young man, more than 50 years ago. Took it to the HS Physics lab where we measured a surprising amount of residual radiation, per the Geiger counter. I'm sure it was a stupid error but my buddy and I believed we had measured several hundred times the background count coming from this specimen. Still scratching my heads...

I think this year's garden is about to start "coming off". I picked 4 tomatos and 3 squash today. I'd enclose some pictures but I'm sure most of you guys know what they look like.This years first pick of the tomatos is the Better Boy. It's a beefsteak hybrid determinate. One of the things I don't care about determinates is how they all come off at once, nice if you're canning but I'm not (this year) Got alot of green tomatos on the bushes and they will all ripen at the same time.I prefer Indeterminate heirlooms. Most gardeners are familiar with the Cherokee Purple, but this year I bought some seedlings called Cherokee Purple Cherrys at a yard sale.From what I've read they are a indeterminate heirloom.Anyone out there familiar with this variety?

Last edited:
This years first pick of the tomatos is the Better Boy. It's a beefsteak hybrid determinate. One of the things I don't care about determinates is how they all come off at once, nice if you're canning but I'm not (this year)

I'm not a big fan of determinites either, but they do have an advantage for the short season grower.
Hot houses typically use indeterminates and will harvest tomatoes for nearly a year, Plants will grow 12-13 feet tall or better.

Indoor grow operations are just amazing.

The last few years I've noticed volunteer potatoes coming up in my garden where they were planted the year before. I never would have thought potatoes could withstand being frozen. Frost depth for me averages about 4 feet, so they have to be froze solid. Yet I keep getting volunteers.
Hardy little buggers.

Anyone else experience this ?

My weeds are growing well. Finally starting to pick lettuce and asparagus, peas are finally taking off. With the warmer weather, I hope to get beans and corn in this weekend. Everything else will wait for another week since our frost free date is the first weekend in June.

Back