• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had your rain. We have had frost for the last 3 nights. Lost 1 out of 8 plants so far.

Heavy freezing dew in NW Indiana this morning. Had some yard longs coming up that might get hit. I threw the dice on that, based upon forecasts and maybe just squeaking by. If I have to replant that's OK; got lots of seed from last years beans.

Is it just me or do the gardens seem "Late" this year? Seems like I should be eating fresh tomatos by now.Oh, spring has been here for over a month and we did have a big freeze in Febuary (here in Texas anyway) Maybe we're just experiencing what you guys up North call normal?

Not normal, been a cold spring.

Most of our plants still in the small trays, Son picked our first feed of Asparagus today. Rhubarb is up and growing.

Seedlings moving to the greenhouse within the week. Tilling will begin next week as we will not plant till Memorial day weekend or we WILL loose them to frost.

"We" had our first tomato tonight. It was only golf ball sized so Carol got it on her hamburger. And I got the store bought one on mine. But she did let me taste it.

Equipment failure
May delay
Spring planting

Jim in La Luz
šŸ˜Ž
IMG_20210512_094851812_HDR.jpg

Mrs. and I cut way back on the garden. In fact planted the old garden over with grass seed. Our plants are in raised beds. We really don't use that much. a few Tomatoes and peppers, some ginger, horse radish, etc. However, the berry patch has grown a bit. 48 Blueberry bushes of various kinds including 2 Pink Lemonade berries, 4 high bush cranberries, 3 Aronia, 8 thornless black berries, 5 red rasberries, 2 Josta berries, cape gooseberries, and a quarter acre of wine berries. Pink Lemonade berries are a variety of Blueberry that is a dark reddish pink when ripe (seems unnatural) most of the berries are frozen to be turned into pies, etc through out the winter. Some become syrups for ice cream, pancakes, etc. We also let neighbors and relatives come pick. We have a large chest freezer just for berries. Last year we froze blue berries in gallon containers. 14 of them. (when my grandkids visit, I mix up Lemonade from fresh squeezed and add two cups of black berry juice to a gallon of lemonade. It takes on a reddish purple hue and they call it dragon's blood.)

Last edited:
We just got our two Big Beef tomato plants in this week (May 11th) which is about 2 months late for us here in the Central San Joaquin. I wintered over 2 Jalapeno plants and set 1 new Poblano. Tomatoes love the 100Ā°+ heat but the peppers sulk until September. Salsa in work! Ole!
20201114_15395516c06478cfeb372d.jpg

We started to harvest a little lettuce, and our broccoli and brussel sprout plants are quite happy in our unheated temporary greenhouse (raised bed with removable greenhouse). Night time temps have been too cold to plant the tomatoes and peppers, but yesterday I couldnā€™t wait any more so theyā€™re in now too. Temp forecasts look reasonable so Iā€™m hoping for the best. I know the plants will survive but have read that if itā€™s too cool at nights for tomatoes, itā€™ll stunt their productivity later on.

Next project is to plumb a drip system. I have the feed line in from our sprinkler system, but now need to route the lines in the garden itself.

Going to try a couple of hanging strawberry plants this year. Never thought of hanging baskets for strawberries but saw them at the local nursery so what the heck.

We just got our two Big Beef tomato plants in this week (May 11th) which is about 2 months late for us here in the Central San Joaquin. I wintered over 2 Jalapeno plants and set 1 new Poblano. Tomatoes love the 100Ā°+ heat but the peppers sulk until September. Salsa in work! Ole!
20201114_15395516c06478cfeb372d.jpg
Just put in two beefsteaks myself and a new jalapeno. Planted a new strawberry barrel too.
We have to be careful up here on Bear Mt. southeast of you. No planting until after Mothers Day.

wm

0516211653.jpg

Coastal Massachusetts:

Everything seems to be coming in now that we have "warm" (50F + weather) at night and average 60F+ weather during the day.

Peas and onions are coming in nicely, carrots seem to be struggling some. Corn is about 2 inches tall now, hopefully the warm weather kicks it up some. Beans and pumpkins seem to be not wanting to peek out. Tomatoes and peppers are hanging in there, as are the herbs

Picked my first 2 squash today.The squash took off like a rocket after the last few showers. I've always said "Rain was God's MiracleGro."

Back