• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the "shriveled" tomato plant behind my nephew.. it's in the ground but will it be okay? Yep, those fireants messed up my plans.

Of course we we're heavily supervised
Screenshot_20210424-191248_Gallery.jpg

Thank you Angie, Zonie and the rest of the forum for letting me post the pictures . The kids think they went "National". Just like muzzleloading (other guns too)and such, it's good to teach the young'uns gardening and other "stuff". Kids enjoy learning new things.

Last edited:
That's the "shriveled" tomato plant behind my nephew.. it's in the ground but will it be okay? Yep, those fireants messed up my plans.
Next time try this. Take that shriveled plant, dig a long trench, lay the plant down in the trench. Pick off the leaves all but the last 6". Bend that last 6" up out of the trench and backfill. The whole stalk will grow roots and the plant may out pace all your other tomatoes.

Next time try this. Take that shriveled plant, dig a long trench, lay the plant down in the trench. Pick off the leaves all but the last 6". Bend that last 6" up out of the trench and backfill. The whole stalk will grow roots and the plant may out pace all your other tomatoes.
I've heard of tha and it works great on younger plants. This one is already several months old with blossoms. You think it will grow roots this late?

Pick off the blossoms. Lay it in a trench. Plants grow roots all year.
I had a 3' tomato snap in half in a wind storm. Layed it down in the trench and it out grew its brothers next to it.
If they were not edible you would be searching for a way to kill them in a garden plot. Only thing tougher is rhubarb, horse radish and tomatillos.

I have one row left in my garden and it was intended to be for okra (this 1 and 3 other short rows). Change of plans, it's gonna be just 3 rows of okra. This last row is going to be tomatos even though I already have 19 plants. That batch of tomato plants that my brother-in-law gave is supposedly Cherokee Purple Cherrys.According to google there really is such a thing.Now if this turns out to be a heirloom instead of a hybrid, I may have me a new favorite. I've always said half the fun of gardening is giving stuff away. It looks like I'm in for a load of fun in the near future.

Anybody have experience with straw bale gardens?
Someone gave me 4 wet bales about a month ago. I have been watering and putting nitrogen on them every now and then since.
Want to use them for my pumpkins. Can the be buried or do they need to stay above ground?

thanks.

Someone gave me 4 wet bales about a month ago. I have been watering and putting nitrogen on them every now and then since.
Want to use them for my pumpkins. Can the be buried or do they need to stay above ground?

thanks.
Keep them above ground. If you bury them you'll have some backfilling to do when they decompose.

thanks.

I tried it one year, Bales take a lot of watering during the summer, so do pumpkins. Burying it might be a good idea for pumpkins.

Since bales lack a lot of nutrients, you have to keep fertilizing the plants through the season or rain will wash everything out.
The bales were better the second year, as I had them in a raised bed.

Bales are too expensive for me to buy, I prefer dirt, but it was fun, most things grew ok, but supporting things like tomatoes can be a challenge.

Slugs or rodents can be a problem with bales.
I have a small round bale about waist high I'm going to plant something in this year.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Well we got a decent rain a couple of days ago and the plants really took off. They all grew several inches since Friday. Unfortunately so did the weeds.

Is it just me or do the gardens seem "Late" this year? Seems like I should be eating fresh tomatos by now.Oh, spring has been here for over a month and we did have a big freeze in Febuary (here in Texas anyway) Maybe we're just experiencing what you guys up North call normal?

Latest posts

Back