• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been putting leftover (live) earthworms in the garden.For some reason my garden seems to be void of earthworms.These are the Bill Dance "Red Wiggler" brand. I guess Tennessee worms can grow in South Texas. I passed on the Walmart brand, they are from Canada.I figured that was a bit much and maybe they couldn't take the heat down here.

Took advantage of some extra warm days in the 60's and transplanted 1100 onions. Yum!
Might as well stay hunched over because in a month I'll have to weed 1100 onions! o_O

If you have them available, and have the ability to shred them, leaves make an incredible mulch for crops such as onions that are generally a pain to weed. Just sift them down over the onions after the first weeding, and continue to do so as they grow taller.

If your library has it, check out " Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Self-Reliant Farming". Chelsea Green Publishing sells it if you can't get it from your library.

The man is a true vegetarian, but if you look past that he has an incredible amount of good info to impart. Only long-term vegan farmer that is practicing what he preaches.

My bride's seedlings. She babies them from the day she plants seeds. Outside on warmer sunny days, and inside today due to cooler temps and winds. You would think they are small children. Does this every year, fun to watch. maters.jpg

I didn't do any greens this year, now after seeing that picture I wish I would have.I had a bad experience with a gopher and greens several years ago but he got "20 guaged".
Deer are the bane of the wife's garden. Unfortunately, deer and garden season have no overlap.

One of my tomato plants died so I transplanted one that I had left over in a bucket. I think it'll be alright.I never transplanted one this big, it was already blooming.I planted this one from seed several months ago.An heirloom, Pink Brandywine , I think.

One of my tomato plants died so I transplanted one that I had left over in a bucket. I think it'll be alright.I never transplanted one this big, it was already blooming.I planted this one from seed several months ago.An heirloom, Pink Brandywine , I think.
Just starting to see local hot house tomatoes. Better than supermarket, but not as good as high summer garden fruit.

Anybody know how long store bought seed are good for?
Bought a whole box full of pumpkin seeds that are from 2019 at a second hand store.

I always considered 2 years, Wet a paper towel and put 4 or 5 seeds in it, double it over and put in in a window, See how many germinate.

Just starting to see local hot house tomatoes. Better than supermarket, but not as good as high summer garden fruit.

Big plant sale last week and my wife decided to get into gardening already here in north west Missouri. Looks like this morning there is at least 2 inches of snow on the ground. No the plants are safe, hopefully I can help them survive until last frost date.

Had the small city lot we own piped for water yesterday. We will put out a small garden this year. Excavator said we had good soil.
004.jpg

Seeds grew like crazy. Now if it would stop being 30 degrees at night I could grow my 1000lb pumpkin.

I thought I was through with the tomato plants but a brother-in-law gave me several more. So it was hole digging time again. I got no more space inside the garden. Had a nephew dig me a few holes. That one may make it, I kind if dropped it when I discovered the fireants in the container.
20210424_155117.jpg

Last edited:
Back