• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2021 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting up the rabbit-fence was a great idea. My plants are actually growing, as opposed to just getting mowed down by rabbits. I would have to replant things several times before they grew too big for the rabbits to munch on. Now stuff just is

The corn is already waist-high, and the beans and the pumpkins are doing just fine. If anything I am concerned the pumpkins will overgrow and shade out the beans.

I have peas for days. Gonna leave some pods on the vine to dry.

Potatoes are doing well. Onions and carrots are as well.

I didn't kill the grapevine somehow. I just noticed it put out new leaves today, a good sign.

Need your help guys. Hope this hasn't already come up as I didn't read all of the posts.
What do you guys do about squash bugs? Darn critters get me every year in my zucchini. Once that bugger gets into the stalk, it is to late. I have tried 7 dust but only after the plant looks sick. Kind of wondering if I started dusting now, while the plants are healthy , if it would help.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Ed

Need your help guys. Hope this hasn't already come up as I didn't read all of the posts.
What do you guys do about squash bugs? Darn critters get me every year in my zucchini. Once that bugger gets into the stalk, it is to late. I have tried 7 dust but only after the plant looks sick. Kind of wondering if I started dusting now, while the plants are healthy , if it would help.
Ed
Only thing I have found to actually kill squash bugs is Hero. Need a license to get it though.

Gardening tip of the day.

iu

Ed
Try growing them under floating row cover fabric for a physical block.
If you still get them, cut off the affected stalk and bury the stump with soil. Burn the part you cut off, and burn all of it when the season is over. If you till them under at the end of the season all you did was tuck them in for the winter.

Garlic anyone,

I dug all my garlic already. 3 weeks early and glad I did. Dry weather sent the garlic into an early harvest. Had I waited another week I might have lost the whole crop as the papers were beginning to loosen and rain would have done them in.

We have a late season up here. Despite the 100 degree temps last couple of weeks, the spring pea harvest has begun. Green Arrow peas on a 36" fence just gave us our first 40 lbs. Yesterday, after picking, we got 2" of rain. That should plump up the next set of pods for the weekend.
Blanched and frozen by the bag full, we should get enough to last a year.

Attachments

• DSCN0723 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0723 (1024x768).jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0725 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0725 (1024x768).jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 46
We have a late season up here. Despite the 100 degree temps last couple of weeks, the spring pea harvest has begun. Green Arrow peas on a 36" fence just gave us our first 40 lbs. Yesterday, after picking, we got 2" of rain. That should plump up the next set of pods for the weekend.
Blanched and frozen by the bag full, we should get enough to last a year.
40# after shelling I assume?
Also assuming you blanch after shelling. How do you dry them enough that the excess moisture on the exterior of the peas isn't an issue when freezing?

Easy. I took up the practice of microwave blanching years ago.
Take 2 cups of shelled peas into a quart size zip-lock bag. Add 3 TBS. of water. Zip it 90% shut leaving a space for the steam to escape. Microwave on high 3 minutes, then burp the air out of the steam bag and plunge it into ice water bath. The bags shrink further with the end result looking like you vacuum sealed it. Turn around time is the 3 minutes, as you micro one bag you load the next.
Once you get the rhythm down it goes quit easily. Kinda like casting round ball. This method makes short work of green beans, corn and broccoli as well. :thumb:

Last edited:
In between pea crops is cherry season. Every morning and late afternoon I'm on the ladder.
No time for getting fancy as the season only lasts 10 days at best. We pit them and cook them with sugar and a bit of arrowroot starch, ladle them into freezer boxes 3 cup per. In the winter its a simple mater to defrost and pour into a pie crust, or use them for a cobbler.
These are Garfield Plantation cherries we planted 8 years ago. They started bearing in their third year I believe, and are now over 20' tall.

Attachments

• DSCN0730 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0730 (1024x768).jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 49
It is a curious thing that particular species of insects are able to identify and feast on specific types of trees and vegetables. I planted two sweet cherry trees this year which the Japanese beetles have now ravaged. They also have a taste for my grapes and raspberries. The past two years I have potato beetles which I've never seen before. My squashes are prone to attack from a different little stripped beetle. Its an all out war this year.

Japanese beetles are all over my farm. They even strip the hazelnuts of their leaves. But they dont touch the pie cherries.
Sevin 500 bug will get rid of them, spray whatever they are on and the ground under them to kill the eggs they lay for next year.

Back