2021 How does your garden grow

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been putting leftover (live) earthworms in the garden.For some reason my garden seems to be void of earthworms.These are the Bill Dance "Red Wiggler" brand. I guess Tennessee worms can grow in South Texas. I passed on the Walmart brand, they are from Canada.I figured that was a bit much and maybe they couldn't take the heat down here.

R.J.Bruce

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took advantage of some extra warm days in the 60's and transplanted 1100 onions. Yum!
Might as well stay hunched over because in a month I'll have to weed 1100 onions! o_O
If you have them available, and have the ability to shred them, leaves make an incredible mulch for crops such as onions that are generally a pain to weed. Just sift them down over the onions after the first weeding, and continue to do so as they grow taller.

If your library has it, check out " Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Self-Reliant Farming". Chelsea Green Publishing sells it if you can't get it from your library.

The man is a true vegetarian, but if you look past that he has an incredible amount of good info to impart. Only long-term vegan farmer that is practicing what he preaches.

clarksvillejoe

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My bride's seedlings. She babies them from the day she plants seeds. Outside on warmer sunny days, and inside today due to cooler temps and winds. You would think they are small children. Does this every year, fun to watch. maters.jpg

nhmoose

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Seeds started on inside porch are coming along.

2 inches of fresh snow fall this morning. 4-10" by sat morning per US weather service winter storm warning.. Was in the 70's last week.

SOLANCO

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't do any greens this year, now after seeing that picture I wish I would have.I had a bad experience with a gopher and greens several years ago but he got "20 guaged".
Deer are the bane of the wife's garden. Unfortunately, deer and garden season have no overlap.

TXFlynHog

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We just finished installing our raised bed garden/greenhouse. It’s small, at 8x8, but just right for us.
8140715A-26B4-4ED4-B0CC-F03339C223C1.jpeg

(Two empty beehives in back there too... first Nuk arrived next weekend, and a second package a couple weeks later...)

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here we go agin with snow and freezing temperatures. No doubt second year in a row for frozen fruit trees and zero fruit. Frustrating 🤬

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
One of my tomato plants died so I transplanted one that I had left over in a bucket. I think it'll be alright.I never transplanted one this big, it was already blooming.I planted this one from seed several months ago.An heirloom, Pink Brandywine , I think.

SOLANCO

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One of my tomato plants died so I transplanted one that I had left over in a bucket. I think it'll be alright.I never transplanted one this big, it was already blooming.I planted this one from seed several months ago.An heirloom, Pink Brandywine , I think.
Just starting to see local hot house tomatoes. Better than supermarket, but not as good as high summer garden fruit.

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know how long store bought seed are good for?
Bought a whole box full of pumpkin seeds that are from 2019 at a second hand store.
I always considered 2 years, Wet a paper towel and put 4 or 5 seeds in it, double it over and put in in a window, See how many germinate.

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just starting to see local hot house tomatoes. Better than supermarket, but not as good as high summer garden fruit.
Big plant sale last week and my wife decided to get into gardening already here in north west Missouri. Looks like this morning there is at least 2 inches of snow on the ground. No the plants are safe, hopefully I can help them survive until last frost date.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had the small city lot we own piped for water yesterday. We will put out a small garden this year. Excavator said we had good soil.
004.jpg

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Seeds grew like crazy. Now if it would stop being 30 degrees at night I could grow my 1000lb pumpkin.

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I was through with the tomato plants but a brother-in-law gave me several more. So it was hole digging time again. I got no more space inside the garden. Had a nephew dig me a few holes. That one may make it, I kind if dropped it when I discovered the fireants in the container.
20210424_155117.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts