• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 rooster.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a day. Pheasant season started over a week ago but it was only today I got chance to get serious about it.
As ever the first bird of 2020 just had to be via a flint lock. Why? Because they taste way better that way!
The day started at 5am. Absolutely no gun preparation made I grabbed the .63", next a bag was made up ready. I checked a shot bag, enough in it, check. I poked about in my gear and found a tin with oil soaked 20g wads and thin cards, they'll do. Grabbed a small powder flask, shook it, enough, check. Next I added a small tin of flints and tools.
Let's go.
Short two mile drive then a mile walk had me in the woods but it was still dark. I was hoping they would want to feed on acorns first thing when they came off roost.
The morning light grew and I heard some birds come off roost. I was going to be still hunting them today.
Despite my best efforts though I could not locate the birds. These are true wild birds and know their ground!
When I did find them it was a group of ten hens but there was no way my first bird this season was going to be a hen! I left them be but watched them should a cock bird show. One never did and I was getting a chill. The cold wind and rain was making my bones ache so I backed out by 9am.
The weather deteriorated as the day went on but got a little warmer so by 4pm I ventured out again. Well the heavens opened up. I had to sit down on wet ground and cover the lock with my bag and just take the heavy downpour!
My legs were drenched but I had kept the lock dry. I refreshed the pan and pushed on through the trees only to find a large oak grown in such a way its was perfectly dry under its canopy just a few extra steps from my dousing!
Soon I was in the wooded lot full of good food and shelter for my birds. Undisturbed from dogs and people they hang around here.
Once more I could not find a cock bird. I eventually worked very slowly down a slang of trees. I resisted the squirrels that Jess was drooling over as she dreamt about getting her mouth around one but it was not to be today!
As I came to the end of the slang and under a hazel above a stream there he was, stood erect, alarmed and ready to leave. I cocked the serpent and mounted the gun all at the same time as if it were fluid. CLATCH went the lock. Nothing! I recocked the serpent and closed the frizzen, as he went to disappear I saw good smoke and the bird was down. Fortunately not in the stream but on the bank, phew!
A good bird for the pot.
20201010_182822.jpg

The shot distance was something like 20yards with about 1&1/8 #6shot and about 70gn of powder. The wads were four thin cards and full wet fibre wad on TOP of the shot. The Skychief load or similar.
So there you have it. Now I can rest. My conscience is clear, i got it done with flint 👍
B.

What a day. Pheasant season started over a week ago but it was only today I got chance to get serious about it.
As ever the first bird of 2020 just had to be via a flint lock. Why? Because they taste way better that way!
The day started at 5am. Absolutely no gun preparation made I grabbed the .63", next a bag was made up ready. I checked a shot bag, enough in it, check. I poked about in my gear and found a tin with oil soaked 20g wads and thin cards, they'll do. Grabbed a small powder flask, shook it, enough, check. Next I added a small tin of flints and tools.
Let's go.
Short two mile drive then a mile walk had me in the woods but it was still dark. I was hoping they would want to feed on acorns first thing when they came off roost.
The morning light grew and I heard some birds come off roost. I was going to be still hunting them today.
Despite my best efforts though I could not locate the birds. These are true wild birds and know their ground!
When I did find them it was a group of ten hens but there was no way my first bird this season was going to be a hen! I left them be but watched them should a cock bird show. One never did and I was getting a chill. The cold wind and rain was making my bones ache so I backed out by 9am.
The weather deteriorated as the day went on but got a little warmer so by 4pm I ventured out again. Well the heavens opened up. I had to sit down on wet ground and cover the lock with my bag and just take the heavy downpour!
My legs were drenched but I had kept the lock dry. I refreshed the pan and pushed on through the trees only to find a large oak grown in such a way its was perfectly dry under its canopy just a few extra steps from my dousing!
Soon I was in the wooded lot full of good food and shelter for my birds. Undisturbed from dogs and people they hang around here.
Once more I could not find a cock bird. I eventually worked very slowly down a slang of trees. I resisted the squirrels that Jess was drooling over as she dreamt about getting her mouth around one but it was not to be today!
As I came to the end of the slang and under a hazel above a stream there he was, stood erect, alarmed and ready to leave. I cocked the serpent and mounted the gun all at the same time as if it were fluid. CLATCH went the lock. Nothing! I recocked the serpent and closed the frizzen, as he went to disappear I saw good smoke and the bird was down. Fortunately not in the stream but on the bank, phew!
A good bird for the pot.
View attachment 45967
The shot distance was something like 20yards with about 1&1/8 #6shot and about 70gn of powder. The wads were four thin cards and full wet fibre wad on TOP of the shot. The Skychief load or similar.
So there you have it. Now I can rest. My conscience is clear, i got it done with flint 👍
B.
Where can I get eyes like that? LOL!

Good job. Had not seen a pheasant in the wild for years until I kicked one up last year tracking a deer in New York. Don’t think I ever seen one in the Carolinas in the over 25 years I have lived and hunted here.

Your mask looks kind of thin for protection from the virus......

Around where I hunt their used to be lots of wild pheasants and bob white quail no so much anymore, if rabbit hunting and flush a bird I just whish him good luck as he cusses me on his journey. We do a preserve hunt every February it is ok but nothing like wild birds I enjoy watching the dogs work probably more than the shooting part, Last year we did do a wild pheasant hunt in South Dakota on the way back from a Wyoming Antelope hunt. Next year we are going back to Wyoming for mule deer and antelope might just swing bye South Dakota again. Good hunt Brit I always enjoy your posts.

nice COCK & a nice weapon. tell us how the COCK PHEASANT TASTES?

Thanks for sharing Nathan. I really miss being able to do that over there.

>> Jan <<

Back