• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is 100 feet by 100 feet. I use a tractor to till 5 foot wide rows between plants as I’m still struggling to keep the weeds back.

Attachments

• 94E85C86-B45E-471C-A1B3-441D1157A333.jpeg
    94E85C86-B45E-471C-A1B3-441D1157A333.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 05F1283E-DB52-43B8-83B2-A55ECC6AC61D.jpeg
    05F1283E-DB52-43B8-83B2-A55ECC6AC61D.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 2DE7C8E7-0C89-42BF-B284-6964F0D2C4B5.jpeg
    2DE7C8E7-0C89-42BF-B284-6964F0D2C4B5.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 86
But this one isn't bad if you like the large beefsteak variety.

I've long loved the beefsteak. I once grew one so big it made a dollar bill disappear, as well as my hand. Best tomato for making juice.
I love Roma too.

Odd some of you mention killing frost and down here in South Texas it's already getting almost too hot to grow anything but weeds and cactus. We have a few weeks left, it's had been a good year for tomatos and bell peppers, so far.

Location does make a difference, and everyplace presents different challenges. Having gardened in Tennessee (best), southern Minnesota(not bad), Louisiana(too much water), New Mexico(too little water) and my current location near the Canadian border, I've run the gamut.

Growing season is short here, but diseases and insects can be fewer and easier to manage, depending on what you plant. Ain't gonna be any watermelons or cantaloupes though, but I have managed to grow quite a few different chiles. Just squeaked by tonight on another late frost. Normally we shoot for June 1st to get things in the ground, this year I am glad I was a little late.

got the broccoli out early. put out 26 sets just to cook and freeze the leaves but the garden was a cold mud ball till last week. now they are forming heads so I guess we'll eat heads and then the greens. the rest of the garden is just now poking through the soil
broccoli 2020-1.jpg

Cuke's planted 12 days ago have come up! Had to plant on the end of May as typical in our area.. Any before and we would have to replant in June.

We have been caught planting anything mid-May and having to plant them again to bother trying.

Cuke's planted 12 days ago have come up! Had to plant on the end of May as typical in our area.. Any before and we would have to replant in June.

We have been caught planting anything mid-May and having to plant them again to bother trying.

Planted mine the first of June. First true leaves are just coming on.
Mama always said never plant cukes before the 9th of June. We put that to the test one year, she and I.
I planted from transplants on mothers day, she planted from seed on the 9th of June.
She won, Hers' grew just as good and produced just as early. Cost less and no danger of frost.

Update, I planted a fall corn crop, first time planting corn in years, and guess i planted it too shallow. Damned squirrels dug up almost every seed. I have nice looking rows of little holes in my garden!! My buddy said make squirrels and dumplings.

I re planted today, a little deeper.

Used some plastic garlands on top of the 4x8 remesh panel bambi barriers, intertwined with the wire.
About every other morning it's half pulled off. But the visual complexity of the enclosure is keeping them at bay. They just can't bring themselves to jump in there.

Update, I planted a fall corn crop, first time planting corn in years, and guess i planted it too shallow. Damned squirrels dug up almost every seed. I have nice looking rows of little holes in my garden!! My buddy said make squirrels and dumplings.

I re planted today, a little deeper.

I had somewhat the same problem with the local ravens, had to replant twice one year. Then I caught on to them watching me planting from the nearby tree line and squawking to one another. Later, after I left the garden, they went in and started digging, never bothered anything else. Long story short, I started planting my corn after dark when they were away roosting, and no more problems.

Smart birds.

I had somewhat the same problem with the local ravens, had to replant twice one year. Then I caught on to them watching me planting from the nearby tree line and squawking to one another. Later, after I left the garden, they went in and started digging, never bothered anything else. Long story short, I started planting my corn after dark when they were away roosting, and no more problems.

Smart birds.

Actually, I'm simply assuming it's squirrels, it very well could be birds. But it was almost dark when I replanted the corn, and i've watered it in twice. Hopefully, between planting it deeper and at dusk they'll make it out of the ground.

Tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, and bush beans, all in planters.......at home. The Ag school state people decided that during this pandamdemic 10 X 20 foot garden plots were too big a risk and closed the community garden this year.
Thats’ just one problem with distant authority...

My tomatoes, and garden bean are in. Dang chipmunks are digging up my bean beds. If my new puppy wasn’t sharing the yard with my raised beds I’d put rat poison boxes or snap traps out for the vermin. I’ll put in my cucumbers in this weekend. I have tiny green tomatoes now. BJH

My tomatoes, and garden bean are in. Dang chipmunks are digging up my bean beds. If my new puppy wasn’t sharing the yard with my raised beds I’d put rat poison boxes or snap traps out for the vermin. I’ll put in my cucumbers in this weekend. I have tiny green tomatoes now. BJH
I can send my chipmunk hounds over? There will be collateral damage though....
691141B4-EE4E-455F-9119-194B1C955512.jpeg

Finished up almost all the planting today. Most of the garden is peppers, onions and tomatoes, as we are big on canning salsa and spaghetti sauce. Got some Italian pole beans, some sweetcorn, squash, pumpkins, cukes, carrots, beets, kale cabbage, cauliflower, tomatillos and a variety of herbs.

Wine grapes are bouncing back some from last week's freeze and the hops are taking off, up to 8' already. Now we just need some decent rain.

Back