• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 How does your garden grow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might need about 100 more!
I'm in no rush. I have a nice little stream that runs through my property and along the way are hundreds of ferns. This tells me that the area would be good for this Genus/Species type plant and hopefully this particular Species. Although they are different. When I planted my asparagus three years ago they were few and far between. Now I have more asparagus than I can eat. Patience!

Cobra 6

Last edited:
I had a garden of almost solid clay, After three years of trying to get real soil using lots of horse manure that had straw bedding with little luck I switched to saw dust bedding and now after thirty years I have great soil.

I had a garden of almost solid clay, After three years of trying to get real soil using lots of horse manure that had straw bedding with little luck I switched to saw dust bedding and now after thirty years I have great soil.
Isn't it sad in a way? After years of Improving the soil it and a whole lot less weed seeds present it turns out to be a pretty good and mellow (a fertile) garden at the end of your gardening career. Wouldn't it be great if the garden was that "improved" 20 years ago?

It took me only about 20 odd years of leaves, compost, grass clippings, manure, peat moss, gypsum, and what have you before i ordered 14 yards of river sand... next time i won't wait so long.

Isn't it sad in a way? After years of Improving the soil it and a whole lot less weed seeds present it turns out to be a pretty good and mellow (a fertile) garden at the end of your gardening career. Wouldn't it be great if the garden was that "improved" 20 years ago?

I recall when we bought our house the old lady across the alley was in her garden every day. She said she was so proud, she'd worked hard on it since 1957 when her husband bought the property.

She passed about 2 years after we moved in... her asparagus and garlic died, the new owners tore out the border of the garden.
I hope she isn't too upset as she looks down.

Had a really slow start this year but it's looking really good now.

Got
potatoes
onions
peppers
tomatoes
celery
lettuce
spinach
carrots
cabbage
kohlrabi
turnips
bok choy
tatsoi
pole beans
scarlet runner beans
beets
parsnips
garlic
cucumbers
dill
cilantro
diakon radish
carrots
leeks
peas

I think that's everything, some items have multiple varieties and I didn't include the perennials.

I too have found the board method to work well for carrots.

Carbon, how many acres are you cultivating with over 25 varieties?

20200607_144745.jpg

I hoe

OK guys, I'm convinced on the Fiddle Heads. Went out and bought some off of Greenwood in Tennessee. This could take some time.

Cobra 6
I didn’t know you could actually buy ostrich ferns. I probably pick 5 gallons worth every year. Half we eat fresh and the rest I blanch and freeze. My favorite way to have them is cooked, chilled and then tossed with oil and vinegar.

We had a long cold spring so everything is a few weeks behind.

I have:
Strawberries
Raspberries
Silver Queen white corn
Sugar snap peas
Cherry Tomatoes
Early Girl Tomatoes
Zucchini
Yellow Summer Squash
Picklebush Cucumbers
Japanese ( No Burp ) Cucumbers
Sweet Dumpling Squash
Delicatta Squash
Brussel Sprouts
Garlic
5 Nations dry beans
Midori Giant Soy ( Edamame)
White Potatoes
Purple Potatoes ( we like them for making potato chips )

In the three sisters group:
Seneca white corn( One'o) for hominy and meal.
Climbing green beans
Climbing yellow beans
Acorn squash
Carnival Squash
Butternut squash
Buttercup Squash
Spaghetti Squash
Kabocha Squash

Sweet onions
Green onion
Beets
Rutabaga
Three varieties of popcorn
Giant pumpkin
Orange Sweet peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Cilantro
Basil
Dill
Shiso
Native American Tobacco

Whew...😅
I also planted 100 white oak acorns last fall obtained from Ebay and I don't think any of them sprouted.

One of my hoes is not a new one but it's a large one similar to the one shown by Quinn. I got it from a prison that I used to work at.The handle was broken off, probably on purpose by an inmate. Anyway these large hoes were called Aggies. No one at the prison could tell me what the term "Aggie" meant or means. Anyone got any ideas?

Just doing containers this year. Inside a multilayered defense grid to thwart bunnies, bambis and the woodchuck.

One of my hoes is not a new one but it's a large one similar to the one shown by Quinn. I got it from a prison that I used to work at.The handle was broken off, probably on purpose by an inmate. Anyway these large hoes were called Aggies. No one at the prison could tell me what the term "Aggie" meant or means. Anyone got any ideas?
Hmmm...Large hoe called Aggie. Warden's wife?

Carbon, how many acres are you cultivating with over 25 varieties?

About 1.5

Nice hoe, that's one of those heavy duty ones.

I also use one of these and a regular tiller to cultivate.

Attachments

• 1591581390304.png
    1591581390304.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

I worked at the J.V. Allred unit from 95-99. My hoe is just like the Aggie they issued... they used to do the four step shuffle.
What unit did you work at? My brother is the craft shop boss in Gatesville.

Rather than build a garden ‘lasagna’, I bought a few yards of pre mixed (aka, garden mix) of top soil, horse manure, sand and peat moss for our raised garden from a local source. Saved a lot of time, plus I really didn’t have anything to fill it with. Red clay and rocks have proven themselves not to cut as far as growing a garden or much of anything else other than native weeds.

About 1.5

Nice hoe, that's one of those heavy duty ones.

Thanks, it's much heavier than what i used as a kid. We chopped peanuts one year in Oklahoma, the rows were a mile long, water at each end. I was rock hard and bull strong but my dad STILL beat me to the end of the row. He said growing up in the depression will give you a particular skill set.

I'd hate to have to tend 1 1/2 acres without a tractor!!!

I've also tried straw bale gardening, it's a good way to fill a raised bed. Straw bales the fist year, straw bale compost the second.

Back