• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 Alberta Elk Hunt Journal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sept 17, Opening Day

Quite the sleep last night. A lone bull decided we should stay awake in our bedrolls as he vocalized his desire for either love, or a fight, to any and all who would oblige. None responded. This did not sway him at all, as he continued through the night in every direction proceeding to circle camp endlessly, or at least until dawn approached.

We exited the tents to a clear, star filled sky with the temperature slightly above freezing. Lots of discussions about our love struck hosts antics through the night as coffee was being made, and drank. Slowly we started exiting camp announcing our selected direction and area we decided to hunt in. I chose the same area as last years opening morning when I had called up two bulls before having to return to camp. Rifle in hand I started my 1000yd walk to the area I chose to start my calling.

Upon arrival, and with the day beginning to brighten in the predawn light, I checked the time to ensure we were now legal. Yup, time to let go my first bugle of 2020. Dead silence, no response. Waiting a few minutes more, again, no response. Slowly and quietly I begin working my way into the selected brush, 50yds, 100yds, 150yds, try another bugle, nothing. Creeping in another 40yds resulted in a screaming reply from back at my last call site. I rush back and settle behind a small pine, then give another call, instant response and I prepare for another challenge call when motion catches my eye. Here he comes, head low and eyes rolled back. Man he is close, and still coming! I raise my rifle and settle the sights as he continues approaching, straight on. 25yds, 20yds, 15yds and he stops staring straight at me. I know the gig is up but no real shot. I wait and hope when the turn comes it wont be too quick, and am not disappointed. A nice slow turn exposing his broadside allowed an easy shot, but nothing happened. A rifle cannot shoot if the shooter does not properly prepare it, and I had failed to cock the hammer. Much internal anger and frustration later, time to continue with the hunt.

So... continuing forward I periodically pause to call only to be met with silence, until finally another response, and not too far away. I work closer, then call and get a response. He is coming. At about 80yds he hangs up and is looking hard for the other bull. I cow call, soft and sensuous. His head whips around as does the breeze. I can feel it on the back of my neck. I curse as I watch the bull walk away.

Moving on again, ever deeper into my chosen area of boreal forest, pausing and calling when suddenly I see a lone cow. I let out a bugle and have a bull vocalize his displeasure on my proximity to his cow. He charges in, pushing the cow out as he slams the brakes at 65yds quartering to me. I raise my rifle once again and settle the sights. He turns slightly and I fire, loosing sight. I take time to reload as well as intently focus on the spot he was standing. Working towards where he was reveals blood, and I start tracking. After a short time I realize he may not be mortally wounded as the blood becomes sporadic. I pause and wait, allowing time to settle. After many minutes I resume a job that takes every bit of skill I have, and eventually my bull jumps from his bed at 20yds. I am startled, but quickly cow call and bring him to a walk. Rushing forward I am able to see him again, and complete the task with a final shot at 25yds. I have my elk. Nothing fancy but a small little 5x5 meat bull with one broken trez point on the left side. 3 hours into opening morning. My quickest, and shortest, elk hunt ever. Now the real work begins!
Walk

Excellent! My congratulations on your success. I'm glad you decided to take your traditional muzzleloader and that it all worked out. :thumb:
Being so much shorter of a hunt, maybe this one will make the muzzleloader magazine this year? Might even lead off with a quick little blurb comparing to last years marathon? Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Walk:
YES...Please do post a new hunt journal!
I have a definite interest in reading about how it goes. Thanks for posting. I look forward to it.
I hope your health is improving? I haven't heard since our last emails.
Stay safe up there.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Walk:
Congrats. buddy. Well done AGAIN!!! We ALL (I'm sure) appreciate your taking us along with you on a very successful hunt in 2020. Can't wait for 2021! Don't forget to submit this to the magazine. This is well written, graphic, very intriguing, and best of all, it has a fantastic ending! Thank you again Walk.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Thank you all. Unfortunately my phone (as mentioned) failed me right after the pictures you seen thus ending the photographic portion of the hunt. The journal portion was written after returning to civilization so no opportunity there either as the elk was already in the butchers cooler, and my rack was gone to my nephew (who wanted it). Sorry but no such photos exist. I know that without pictures it didn’t really happen, but unfortunately thats the way my cookie crumbled.
Thanks again everyone. It was a fun hunt even if it was short.
Walk

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I'm preparing for our muzzleloader season that begins next weekend here in Washington. The anticipation is very like Christmas as you mentioned, very apt comparison. Hoping I have similar luck with my old Renegade.

Thank you and Great Hunt!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I'm preparing for our muzzleloader season that begins next weekend here in Washington. The anticipation is very like Christmas as you mentioned, very apt comparison. Hoping I have similar luck with my old Renegade.

Thank you and Great Hunt!
Best of luck. I hope you do not have the same issues I had with the electronics!
Walk

One thing I should add, my trusted Two Feathers WE-1 Roach Belly knife performed flawlessly throughout the entire gutting, skinning and breakdown of the elk. This included the separating of the ribs from the breast plate on each side, etc. Not one sharpening needed.
Walk

Back