• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2020 Alberta Elk Hunt Journal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question was put forth to the forum on if I should upload another running journal, and it appears there is interest so...

Sept 1, 14 Days to Departure;
Well, that time of year again, time to prepare for the annual elk hunt. This will be the 26th year my good friend and I have hunted elk together. Not yet sure who else may be attending, as the unprecedented Covid pandemic has impacted everyones lives. I guess we’ll know once people arrive. Again it will be wall tents with perhaps one “tin teepee”, as my good friends wife will also be attending, for at least a partial period. I have made a decision to take a better camera for higher quality photos, in addition to those that will be collected with the phone and uploaded with each days entry. I hope to add more photos to this journal. Likely not much else will be changing (ya, my old canvas hunting bag is coming!). I’ve already started compiling and gathering things, into the living room of course, to ensure nothing is forgotten. Nobody’s complaining yet?!? I guess they want more elk meat too. Lol
The plan is to depart on the 15th after a chemo injection appointment. Yes, the cancer still remains and yes there is still a twice daily chemo regime, for 14 consecutive days each 28 day cycle, of two different chemo cocktails plus the monthly injection of a third. The good news is that my cycle ends the evening of the 16th, or the night before rifle season opener. Two full weeks of no chemo perfectly timed with the hunt. Damn, things just always seem to work out!
I guess I do have new boots yet to break in. I spent some serious dollars on a quality brand to ensure my feet stay healthy. Unfortunately one of the effects of chemo, hands and feet take real beatings. Cracked and bleeding sure makes sore walking! Not this year though. Also invested in some better outer wear clothing to keep me warm and dry. Not much body fat left at all. Still got to buy a new kitchen tarp, 16x20 should do as a rain roof? Soon it will all be together. Except the grub and water of course. A little early for that!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas...
Walk

The question was put forth to the forum on if I should upload another running journal, and it appears there is interest so...

Sept 1, 14 Days to Departure;
Well, that time of year again, time to prepare for the annual elk hunt. This will be the 26th year my good friend and I have hunted elk together. Not yet sure who else may be attending, as the unprecedented Covid pandemic has impacted everyones lives. I guess we’ll know once people arrive. Again it will be wall tents with perhaps one “tin teepee”, as my good friends wife will also be attending, for at least a partial period. I have made a decision to take a better camera for higher quality photos, in addition to those that will be collected with the phone and uploaded with each days entry. I hope to add more photos to this journal. Likely not much else will be changing (ya, my old canvas hunting bag is coming!). I’ve already started compiling and gathering things, into the living room of course, to ensure nothing is forgotten. Nobody’s complaining yet?!? I guess they want more elk meat too. Lol
The plan is to depart on the 15th after a chemo injection appointment. Yes, the cancer still remains and yes there is still a twice daily chemo regime, for 14 consecutive days each 28 day cycle, of two different chemo cocktails plus the monthly injection of a third. The good news is that my cycle ends the evening of the 16th, or the night before rifle season opener. Two full weeks of no chemo perfectly timed with the hunt. Damn, things just always seem to work out!
I guess I do have new boots yet to break in. I spent some serious dollars on a quality brand to ensure my feet stay healthy. Unfortunately one of the effects of chemo, hands and feet take real beatings. Cracked and bleeding sure makes sore walking! Not this year though. Also invested in some better outer wear clothing to keep me warm and dry. Not much body fat left at all. Still got to buy a new kitchen tarp, 16x20 should do as a rain roof? Soon it will all be together. Except the grub and water of course. A little early for that!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas...
Walk
You sir, have my utmost respect and admiration. I'm very sorry to read that the cancer remains. I am awestruck by your tenacity and drive for living life.

Sept 2nd, 13 Days to Departure;

Ahh the question I’ve been dreading, “What gun will you be using?” Well that as of yet remains undecided. Perhaps my .50 late Lancaster percussion conversion? Perhaps my parts built .54 halfstock percussion plains rifle? The Lyman again? Maybe its sister, another percussion conversion?Or perhaps it will be something outside the realm of this forum due to the sighting system? You see, last season I found that the traditional sights were very tough to see in the low light, or fog, or dense timber and underbrush conditions. Never used to be this way, but age seems to get a perverse pleasure from its games. The bull at 25 yards last year, which I know by sheer body size and build alone was very legal yet I could not see any headgear at all for confirmation, really made me realize that if I wish to continue then I’d better be prepared for changes. Binoculars are now a must. Depth perception is becoming difficult as well, so I invested in a range finder. As time goes on it appears the only traditional hunting item left is my rifle. Oh well, absolute main consideration MUST be for the clean and ethical taking of the quarry. Just need to figure out in my head if there will be enough opportunities to allow for traditional sighting systems to be used. I remain yet undecided on what I should do. Torn is a far more accurate description to be honest...

Walk

Well all, after much thought and internal struggle, a decision has been made. I will have to opt out of a journal this year, and do apologize for that. I think that I am being forced to face some hard facts with both my age and health. The use of the modern technology necessary for a reasonable chance of success will step outside the realm of this forum. Sorry to all those that were looking forward to a vicarious adventure.
Walk

Well Walk, you gotta do what you gotta do. I’m just glad you’re still going to go hunt elk, no matter what you’re gonna use. Perhaps you could post results in the non muzzleloading section. Have fun brother.

Life will slap you in the face every chance it gets, But you sound like a real trooper it would of been nice to follow your hunt with the traditional weapons as discussed here but as Patrick Thomas has stated you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope to hunt Mr. ELK in a few years barring any slaps from life and am excited for your hunt, GO GET EM and have a great time best of luck on your hunt. You can tell us of your success and the camp side of the story there are always neat stories that come from a hunting camp. SHINNING TIMES FOR SURE

Enjoy the hunt sir! Maybe we’ll get a chance to see a few pics occasionally- as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Totally appreciate the vision issues. I admit that my flintlock (a hunting rifle, not for PC shows) has fiber optic sites nowadays too. It’s all about an ethical shot for me too!

Well all, after much thought and internal struggle, a decision has been made. I will have to opt out of a journal this year, and do apologize for that. I think that I am being forced to face some hard facts with both my age and health. The use of the modern technology necessary for a reasonable chance of success will step outside the realm of this forum. Sorry to all those that were looking forward to a vicarious adventure.
Walk
So don't mention the gun.

The gun only matters if you shoot something anyway. Your ability to take us along with you just with the written word is worth reading.

So don't mention the gun.

The gun only matters if you shoot something anyway. Your ability to take us along with you just with the written word is worth reading.
Thank you for the kind comments sir.
I have decided that I am being silly in placing more value on the end game rather than the experience as a whole. As such I have decided I will take a traditional muzzleloader and will savour the adventure After all, this is why we hunt anyhow. I will record both in written word and photography of this adventure throughout.
T minus 6 days....
Thank you all.
Walk

well after seeing you shoot today and seeing you hit that 2" 100 meter gong off hand with your caplock, and if I were you i'd leave the muzzleloader at home too.
all kidding aside its great that you are going and I hope you have a great time and come home with meat.
tom
OU

Sept 10, 5 Days to Departure;
Well after yesterdays range session with my friend Old Ugly (Tom), who can spin a yarn with the best of them (for the record, that 100yd gong was more like 8” and only hit it while using a rest!), with my converted late Lancaster .50 caplock really got my furnace fired back up for the traditional hunt again. Thus the decision to put the adventure ahead of the kill. Alas, however, I will be using my .54 home built poor boy plains rifle rather than the Lancaster. Researching the Rice Barrel Co. website revealed that max load is only 80gr 2fg, and I have been shooting with my proven target load of 60gr 2fg as a flint ignition. This same load proved as accurate with the converted percussion ignition, so did not adjust the charge at this time. As well, I am more comfortable with a .54 roundball on elk than a .50.
Regarding my chosen rifle, my .54 “poorboy Plains Rifle”, this is a TC Renegade lock, barrel, tang and trigger, then sand cast iron hardware from TOTW for the butt plate, trigger guard, wedge key echeons and screws. The stock is walnut and fit by myself (and it shows). This was built from parts many years ago when I didn’t have the money for things such as a drill press, so a close look will reveal MANY imperfections. But she is comfortable, easy to carry, points well and above all else, has never failed in her duties. Ever! Her first job in life was to cleanly harvest a nice little moose at 80 yards, and this has since been followed by mule and whitetail deer, bear, ruffled grouse and clay targets. Yes folks, I have used shot in this rifled barrel a few times, using hornets nest or green leaves as wadding, with success. Much to the surprise of observers. I have not done this much though as it will lead foul the barrel. I also have a GM IBS drop in .54 1:70 twist barrel, but find this a little heavy and awkward when compared to the TC 26” barrel.
Below is a picture of my hunting gear, my rifle, shooting bag, elk hide case, canvas hunting bag and a couple Two Feathers knives.
Getting real excited now...
Walk

Attachments

• 4E35BDB4-F1E6-471B-99D7-894887DFC488.jpeg
    4E35BDB4-F1E6-471B-99D7-894887DFC488.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 101
Sept 14, 1 Day to Departure;
Almost all the gear is now assembled and will soon be loaded on the “mule”. A few other errands to complete first. Water containers cleaned and topped up leaving only last minute packing for tomorrow, being the cooler and toiletries kit.
Received word that my buddies wife will not be attending afterall, and neither will his tin teepee. He will be joining me in my tent. I informed him that my wish is to not fire the wood stove unless it is raining or very cold. I’m hoping that we get better sleeps in the coolness of the tent, while warm and snug within our bedrolls. We’ll see how that works out! He agreed, lol, as he always complained about how hot it was in the tent.
Apparently I packed most of the dry goods food container while hungry. Absolutely no reason to starve this trip, that’s for sure. My stove died this year while fishing on the coast. Apparently the years of saltwater exposure was a little too much. However a good family friend had an old liquid fuel Coleman he was no longer using, and passed it along to me, which gave me reason to dig out the matching lantern. Firing the both of them up for a pre-trip test, and the resulting smell as things burned perfectly, flooded me with memories of time with grampa. Such wonderful experiences we had hunting and fishing, for so many years. Someday we will again... One last look over my rifle to ensure nothing is amiss revealed, nothing, we are good to go!
One more nights sleep...
Walk

Sept 15, Departure Day;
Up before dawn and began the morning pill routine. Half hour intervals, two medications first thing, then a single medication 30 minutes later, single dose of chemo (5 pills) 30 minutes after that, followed by 4 different meds with breakfast another half hour later and finally a different dose of chemo (2 pills) 20 minutes after breakfast. Whew! Only 1 1/2 days of this left. Final packing completed then “fed the mule” before getting my dose of a 3rd different chemo (this one only monthly) injection and off for adventure. First stop will be to see my daughter and granddaughter. The son-in-law spoken of in last years journal is no longer. Seems he had a wandering eye, as well as other parts. Did not see that in him, but I guess we can all be fooled at times. Anyhow, my princess and little princess live a half days travel from me so its been several months since I’ve last seen them, especially in this Covid world.

The trip was uneventful and went well. Very happy to see the two of them. Missed both very much and we had a good visit. I dropped off lots of meat for the two of them, as well as other goodies before having to head out to my buddies and get the last of the heavy goods loaded. We leave for the actual camp first thing in the morning.
Walk

Sorry folks but my phone had major issues this trip and would not function to allow me and use what-so-ever. As such no journal nor any real pictures either. I do apologize for that. In any event there was success...
Sept 16, Day 1
We arrived in the camp location at 9:30am to an ambient temperature a few degrees below freezing, and began setting up. Tent went up first, then kitchen area tarp, followed by the kitchen itself. Everything completed shortly after noon. Our third member arrived around the same time and we assisted with his set-up. The fourth, and last member showed mid-day. We all relaxed and told old stories until it was finally time for bed. It was a great day.
Walk

Attachments

• 020C9505-80AA-445D-9DA5-64E49FAE1B22.jpeg
    020C9505-80AA-445D-9DA5-64E49FAE1B22.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 129
  • A6CA8DCC-1A27-431B-947D-1907766D3BF9.jpeg
    A6CA8DCC-1A27-431B-947D-1907766D3BF9.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 116
  • E30357DB-0F7E-4030-97CC-1E9B7E11E607.jpeg
    E30357DB-0F7E-4030-97CC-1E9B7E11E607.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 121
Back