• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2019 Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
DDC02BFB-17BE-486D-BB6D-B52D7F781838.jpeg
CA1569EB-B41A-48DD-B156-A3550FFB948A.jpeg
C8EB83F6-1FCD-40B1-B7D2-1847632FF816.jpeg
filled my landowner doe tag this morning. The old .50 cal Hatfield that I bought back around 1983 still shoots true.......

Congrats! Some good eating there. I filled my LOT tag with a young one like that last year. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon, I think. Where are you in Iowa? Our snow is pretty much gone here at Bellevue, but we were at my son's in Spirit Lake last week, and they have a bunch.

30Coupe, I have a farm in SW Iowa. I have been passing up a half dozen bucks during bow season waiting for something bigger. My tag this morning was for doe only so when three walked up to 15 yards I took the best one. Yes, she will be fine eating at the dinner table!! Greg.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. Good eater I would imagine! Any load info?

image.jpg
image.jpg
Same load I have practiced and shot for years..........60 grains ( by weight) 2f black powder, 490 prb, and I think the patch was a .18 I have used .15 for a lot of my target shooting in the years past tho. This Hatfield has a 1-66” twist and at 50 yards shoots lights out!! I have loved this gun ever since I laid eyes on it back in the early ‘80’s. Here is another picture of the riverbottom. I’m out trying to find a coyote this morning!

Brokennock, I use to hunt several places but anymore I pretty much hunt by myself or with my son on just our own land. Shotgun seasons although fun got to be a bit crazy with all the party hunting that is legal here in Iowa. I really wish the powers in charge would change that law. Pretty dangerous. Someone got shot and killed again this year during first gun season. Greg :)

I use to hunt several places but anymore I pretty much hunt by myself or with my son on just our own land. :)

If I owned a gorgeous piece of property like that, I'd be more than content to do the same! You're a lucky man.

We have a LOT of party hunters here too. One group around my home town generally has in excess of 25 guys and act more like a raucous mob than hunters. I've seen them do things so stupid I'm amazed none of them have shot someone in their own party. Party hunting can be done safely, but done badly, it can have deadly consequences for sure.

Thanks Spikebuck, yes I am lucky. The farms that we hunt here have been in the family for nearly 60 years. I grew up hunting here when pheasants were so numerous. We were the number one county in the nation for pheasants. Hardly any birds here anymore. I LOVE this land. The past year tho Mid American Energy came in and with the tax payers dollars erected 535 wind turbines in our county. I didn’t know going into this hunting season what effect they would have now on our wildlife here at the farm. I sure have my answers now tho! Very very sad. Thanks for all the kind words friends. I have enjoyed my muzzleloader hunting now for 38 years now or so.............Greg :)

Back