• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2019 Gobbler....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
A9F82635-ADAF-477B-BC84-0C2F05B40470.jpeg
I woke this morning to rain West of me, tracking East. Undaunted, I practically jumped from under the covers for our opener.

I tucked myself into my little hide of cover in the field I’ve hunted several times. As they say, if it ain’t broke......

The rain started falling as dawn tried to break. I imagine it had the same effect on the toms’ gusto as it did mine. Blah.

No gobbles were heard for a couple of hours. Then, at about 9:00, I heard one North of me back in the hardwoods. I answered and he honored the calling. I shut up as he sounded closer. Within a minute or two, I had two long beards practically on my lap!

They could have been twins. I had a jake set at 15 yards and two hens at 8 yards. Usually, I may count on any mature gobbler to head straight to my jake. Turkeys love to educate us and throw us curveballs on a frequent basis (another reason it never gets “old”).

These two sprinted in full strut (a comical look by the way), straight to one of the hen dummies 8 measly steps away. I didn’t complain. I wasn’t going to be too picky and watched for either to give me a sure shot. Turns out, it was the one to my right as he came to a standstill, broadside.

I took advantage,then,gave thanks for the health and means to be out with these beautiful creatures yet again. Being so close is icing on the cake!

Good luck to all of you this Spring and thanks for listening.

All the best, Skychief.

Awesome! Looks like yer opener was within the "special 4 day" period. See? Turkey hunting is easy when it is! Nice looking fan, appears to be a somewhat mature bird, what he weight, length of beard/spurs??

Thank you all.

AZ, he wore a thick 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. I didn't weigh him but he was a large-framed tank. I carried him and my paraphernalia a couple hundred yards toward my truck, then decided to make two lighter trips, instead of the one heavier one.

I think I could hunt these birds for 50 more years and still marvel at their size, coupled with the ability to fly, as heavy as they are. Very unique creatures.

Darren, planning on having turkey on the menu tonight!

Thanks all, Skychief.

Beautiful bird!
Congratulations Skychief!
Nothing like proving that some of the "old ways" of harvesting still work!
The best part is you got out and were blessed!

Back