• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2019 Alberta Elk Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walking eagle's excellent adventure turned out great and I heartily congratulate him.

As the gang on Hee-Haw used to say, "SALUTE!"

In his shoes I know I would have given up after 7 or 8 days.

I admire your patience and persistence, Walking eagle.

Congratulations! This has been the "Greatest" hunting adventure I never went on!
Thanks for taking all of us along with you.
Fantastic descriptions of all the aspects of the country side and camp, my imagination followed every word.
Again, many thanks and another hearty congratulations!

Thanks everyone. Finally back home and cleaning/unpacking/laundry. Lots of work to be done, of course. Tomorrow I will cut and wrap my half of the elk, then get it in the freezer. Hopefully then I can rest over the weekend. I am genuinely exhausted, which isn’t good.
I am glad so many enjoyed my journal. It is truthful in every way, exactly as things happened. I had quite a few moments where I felt it wasn’t going to happen at all, and had to dig deep to keep going forward. It was very rewarding when it came to fruition. Perseverance really does pay off.
I have never written a story before, and have no illusions about this one, but the compliments are very nice. Thank you all.
Take care always.
Walk

I am glad so many enjoyed my journal. It is truthful in every way, exactly as things happened. I had quite a few moments where I felt it wasn’t going to happen at all, and had to dig deep to keep going forward. It was very rewarding when it came to fruition. Perseverance really does pay off.
I have never written a story before, and have no illusions about this one, but the compliments are very nice. Thank you all.
Take care always.
Walk

Welcome home, Walkingeagle. When you've rested, take some time to again read your chronicle. Take note of the well-deserved comments about your writing, and the suggestions that you have it published for other hunters to read. I've read any number of hunting tales in firearms publications...yours definitely belongs there!:)
wiksmo

Absolutely Wonderful! So very happy for you Walkingeagle. Congratulations, that is a real trophy in my book, trophies don't have to be about size and weight, it is the effort, the patience, the life force that you put into your endeavor, that makes the result a trophy.
Your journal is very well written. I could see and feel everything, my heart was racing a few times. Even if not submitted to a magazine (which I think you should do) you really should copy and paste just your updates (without all of our interjections) to the hunting journal subforum, I for one would definitely like to read this again, uninterrupted.

Congratulations again, and thank you so much for sharing.

I think before I consider submitting to a magazine I would reread it and fix up some spelling and grammatical errors. I might also change a few words around so it flows better, and maybe reword some of the more personal notes, like the chemo for example. Once done that then I may submit. Will see. i will also move the edited version into the hunting journal sub-forum in the next couple days, but as one continuous post as that is how it is within my “notes” on the phone.
walk

I'm disappointed that you shot an elk...because now I won't get to read your daily hunting adventures that were so well written.
Kidding aside, great hunting adventure and congrats on getting some dang fine table fare. The dark colored antlers are very attractive looking, I love the way the polished tips look against such a dark rack.

and maybe reword some of the more personal notes, like the chemo for example.
Great story. And if you publish, I would NOT reword the personal notes, like the chemo..... those personal comments and how you presented them, brought me, the reader, into your story even more. They make everything else you wrote all that more real.

Again, great story. Can’t wait for next year’s installment.

Last edited:
I think before I consider submitting to a magazine I would reread it and fix up some spelling and grammatical errors. I might also change a few words around so it flows better, and maybe reword some of the more personal notes, like the chemo for example. Once done that then I may submit. Will see. i will also move the edited version into the hunting journal sub-forum in the next couple days, but as one continuous post as that is how it is within my “notes” on the phone.
walk
I agree with SMSmlf, leave the chemo part in. It could be beneficial and inspiring to someone, and is an integral part of the story.

Of course, Walkingeagle. It is YOUR story, and whatever you consider is needed, that will be the best. I'm not writing this wanting you to change your plans in any way. I would like to try and say why I like how you wrote it.

I think that your hunt chronicle is simply perfect as written! :thumb: If you knew me, you would realize how unusual my assessment is because I'm an overboard perfectionist when it comes to details....numbers, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. My perfectionism is quite out of control.:(

Wonder if I can explain why I think your hunt chronicle is perfect?

I'll try for the why.

What you wrote is vividly "alive" with the experience and emotions of the hunt, and your living of those exciting days moment-by-moment. You brought you into this tale. And the ability to bring others into the tale in the same way is what is so astonishing and beautiful. I found it hard to believe when you said you had never written anything like this before. You have a gift that comes along only once in a lifetime...I would like to handle "pen & paper" as you do.

Thanks for allowing me to share during your chronicle.
wiksmo

walk

Of course, Walkingeagle. It is YOUR story, and whatever you consider is needed, that will be the best. I'm not writing this wanting you to change your plans in any way. I would like to try and say why I like how you wrote it.

I think that your hunt chronicle is simply perfect as written! :thumb: If you knew me, you would realize how unusual my assessment is because I'm an overboard perfectionist when it comes to details....numbers, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. My perfectionism is quite out of control.:(

I'll try for the why.

What you wrote is vividly "alive" with the experience and emotions of the hunt, and your living of those exciting days moment-by-moment. You brought you into this tale. And the ability to bring others into the tale in the same way is what is so astonishing and beautiful. I found it hard to believe when you said you had never written anything like this before. You have a gift that comes along only once in a lifetime...I would like to handle "pen & paper" as you do.

wiksmo
Thank you for the kind words sir, appreciate it.
Nope, never wrote before, but do read lots. Likely thats the biggest influence.
It is uploaded in full form on The Hunting Journal sub-forum. Not much changed from the original text in fact. Send me a PM on your thoughts if you do read it please. I am curious if it changed the impact being a continuous text vs daily update.
Walk

I'll try for the why.

wiksmo
Bravo. Very well stated. Thank you for doing so.

You're quite welcome...my pleasure, Walkingeagle.

Ah, reading a lot is a definite plus to good writing. You are right about that influence. Many authors produce what they've learned through reading, often in new and unique ways.

Other than the deep rumbling thunder and bright lightning snaps verifying our severe weather warning, it is a quiet evening here in the Northland of Kansas City. So I decided to read your chronicle, in full form, on The Hunting Journal. Angie and Zonie did a great job with that move.:) Thanks to them.

Once more I took a deep breath of contentment when finished reading. I "left" the stormy Northland area, and just spent a great time in Alberta on your hunt. I thought it was more impactful because the journey was taken as a whole, without the daily hiatus awaiting the next installment. There are pluses for both approaches. As a potential published article, the full form easily stands its own ground. All in all, it is a fine piece of hunting literature.

I look forward to what you may next do with this chronicle. I am most glad it is now permanently in The Hunting Journal on MLF. It will be a great read for current members, as well as for the new Folk who come along down the trail.

God bless you with His best care as you go through your medical challenges. May you continue in gaining strength each new day.
wiksmo

Thank you for the kind words sir, appreciate it.
Nope, never wrote before, but do read lots. Likely thats the biggest influence.
It is uploaded in full form on The Hunting Journal sub-forum. Not much changed from the original text in fact. Send me a PM on your thoughts if you do read it please. I am curious if it changed the impact being a continuous text vs daily update.
Walk

Walkingeagle, great stories! My elk hunt starts October 12, and reading your stories every day made me feel like it already started. I hope to have the exact experiences you did! Congratulations!!

Latest posts

Back