• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2019 Alberta Elk Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wonderful and excellently-shared hunt chronicle, with a well-earned harvest. A pleasure to congratulate you!

Rest well as you next enjoy visiting the grandkids. They should be mighty proud of grandpa, too. All is good.:thumb:

42 paces and there he lies, no need for a follow up. I pause and give thanks.

The shot perfectly broadside and pass through. Did not touch a shoulder.

Way to go Walk! Congrats and all that. You really came through in the end. Thank you for the wonderful saga, and best of luck eating all that before next October....

Thanks Walkingeagle, reading your story each day was both inspiring and extremely enjoyable. You may have thought you were walking those woods alone, but we walked with you for every exciting step.

Sept 25, day 10...

Nature calling once again, darn tea! Wind is still blowing, actually quite strong, and overcast sky. Appears it rained a bit at some point. Does not seem too cold out. Back in the tent for a bit more sleep.

Breakfast and tea again. Wind has died right down and the sky has cleared. I am in a state of uncertainty as to where to head this morning. My partner wishes to sit the Perch again, so I tell him I will “head that way,” as I point in a sweeping motion from North through East until South. He laughs and says, “ok.” “Good luck,” and we’re off. I start out on a trail Northward from camp then jump on one headed East, after a short distance there is a pretty good trail that takes off to the Northeast, which I pause at and ponder. My original plan was to follow this Eastern trail to near its end then cut Southward on a fairly well used game trail. I have intersected elk in here before, and the breeze would be favourable for sure, however something is nagging at me to jump on this other trail. I decide to follow my gut. Slowly I work along, not yet calling as I feel I’m not far enough from camp. Besides, I need to get somewhere the breeze is not against me. Silently I walk along, I hear a bull moose grunting again to the North, and more migrating geese headed South high overhead. What am I doing? This breeze wont work for this trail? I gaze up at the geese, they are high and definitely not stopping anytime soon. Our neighbours to the South should have an excellent goose season this fall, there have been a bunch this year! As I am lost focusing on the geese I hear a step, followed by another. My eyes scan. This animal is close and walking parallel to myself. What is it? Dark front, tan hide, light butt, ELK, and close! My eyes search ahead for an opening, there, I wait and it finally walks through. BULL, lets see, one, two, more... yup legal but has now moved past the lane. I silently sneak ahead several yards, another lane and this one a little bigger. Up comes my rifle, silently cocking as I raise and I wait. I can see sporadic tan movement and know he’s still coming. Finally he slips into the opening, my eyes confirm its the same animal, “snick” and the trigger is set. The elk freezes at the sound, still unaware I am even here, full broadside and searching for the source before committing to another step. Sights settle tight behind the front shoulder, BAMM! There is no hesitation, confirming I did my part in properly protecting the load during the rainfall a few days back. Smoke hangs in the air as the elk bolts, crashing through the underbrush. I quickly cow call, and again. The elk stops and I hear the loud struggle for air, then a crash. I reload carefully as I do not wish to rush and make an error. I start counting the paces to where the elk was at the shot. 26 paces, and blood confirming the location, I slowly start to follow the easy trail. 42 paces and there he lies, no need for a follow up. I pause and give thanks. Then start to admire my trophy. Not anything to brag about, a simple little 5x4 raghorn meat bull, but my trophy non the less. I am proud.

After a bit it is time to start the work, and isn’t long before my partner shows up to assist. Together we make short work in breaking it down and securing the meat. Then back to camp for a good meal and start breaking things down. Too warm to hang so our trip is now over.

A mere couple hours later things are all packed in our “mules” and goodbyes are said, along with promises of seeing each other again next year. I reflect on the trip as I pull out, and my friends statement one cold morning. “God I love this place!”

Bring on the grandkids...
Thank you so much for sharing---you have given much pleasure to many of us!

Outstanding!

If there's one thing better than success...it is success that comes after hard work, at the end of the week rather than the first day. Congratulations.

I haven't been on this forum in sometime, until late yesterday to check in. O my, am I glad I did. I am even happier for your hunt, enjoyment and ultimate success, too, Walkingeagle. What a wonderful manner of writing, describing your experiences and camaraderie. I was inspired to finally buy my hunting license this morning while out and about. Then, while firing up the computer I remembered where you left off last night and opened up this latest post and delightfully view the pictures. As everyone else on this board, I am so happy for you.
May the Lord Jesus continue to bless your pursuits,
Christopher

Tsaan Wookkuh Wakingeagle!! Beautiful bull and well deserved! You definitely put in the effort and were rewarded! Thank you so much for taking all of us along with you!! Your writing is eloquent and poetic to our ears!!

Howdy folks:
Since receiving a very nice email this morning, I have read the entire account of Walk's Elk hunt and all the associated member comments with much admiration.
While I certainly take no credit for the hard work and success of his hunt, I did have a bit of vested interest in it's successful outcome. My friendship with, and admiration for, this man has grown immensely over the last year that we've been friends. It takes a special breed to overcome his adversities and do what he does. I also have great respect for Walk's ability to write down "feelings, and emotions" which keep me riveted and transport me along on the hunt.

Of course my somewhat greatest interest (selfishly) was in how the knife I made Walk would perform? Even though I'm amazed at the game he dressed with it, I'm still thrilled for him and his hunting partners success.

He was kind enough to email me and let me know what he thought of the knife's performance, and for that I cannot thank him enough.
So Walk...many more successful hunts in your life, and many more improvements in your health over the coming years. These are my prayers for my friend.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Sept 25, day 10...

Nature calling once again, darn tea! Wind is still blowing, actually quite strong, and overcast sky. Appears it rained a bit at some point. Does not seem too cold out. Back in the tent for a bit more sleep.

Breakfast and tea again. Wind has died right down and the sky has cleared. I am in a state of uncertainty as to where to head this morning. My partner wishes to sit the Perch again, so I tell him I will “head that way,” as I point in a sweeping motion from North through East until South. He laughs and says, “ok.” “Good luck,” and we’re off. I start out on a trail Northward from camp then jump on one headed East, after a short distance there is a pretty good trail that takes off to the Northeast, which I pause at and ponder. My original plan was to follow this Eastern trail to near its end then cut Southward on a fairly well used game trail. I have intersected elk in here before, and the breeze would be favourable for sure, however something is nagging at me to jump on this other trail. I decide to follow my gut. Slowly I work along, not yet calling as I feel I’m not far enough from camp. Besides, I need to get somewhere the breeze is not against me. Silently I walk along, I hear a bull moose grunting again to the North, and more migrating geese headed South high overhead. What am I doing? This breeze wont work for this trail? I gaze up at the geese, they are high and definitely not stopping anytime soon. Our neighbours to the South should have an excellent goose season this fall, there have been a bunch this year! As I am lost focusing on the geese I hear a step, followed by another. My eyes scan. This animal is close and walking parallel to myself. What is it? Dark front, tan hide, light butt, ELK, and close! My eyes search ahead for an opening, there, I wait and it finally walks through. BULL, lets see, one, two, more... yup legal but has now moved past the lane. I silently sneak ahead several yards, another lane and this one a little bigger. Up comes my rifle, silently cocking as I raise and I wait. I can see sporadic tan movement and know he’s still coming. Finally he slips into the opening, my eyes confirm its the same animal, “snick” and the trigger is set. The elk freezes at the sound, still unaware I am even here, full broadside and searching for the source before committing to another step. Sights settle tight behind the front shoulder, BAMM! There is no hesitation, confirming I did my part in properly protecting the load during the rainfall a few days back. Smoke hangs in the air as the elk bolts, crashing through the underbrush. I quickly cow call, and again. The elk stops and I hear the loud struggle for air, then a crash. I reload carefully as I do not wish to rush and make an error. I start counting the paces to where the elk was at the shot. 26 paces, and blood confirming the location, I slowly start to follow the easy trail. 42 paces and there he lies, no need for a follow up. I pause and give thanks. Then start to admire my trophy. Not anything to brag about, a simple little 5x4 raghorn meat bull, but my trophy non the less. I am proud.

After a bit it is time to start the work, and isn’t long before my partner shows up to assist. Together we make short work in breaking it down and securing the meat. Then back to camp for a good meal and start breaking things down. Too warm to hang so our trip is now over.

A mere couple hours later things are all packed in our “mules” and goodbyes are said, along with promises of seeing each other again next year. I reflect on the trip as I pull out, and my friends statement one cold morning. “God I love this place!”

Bring on the grandkids...
What a great story and hunt. Congratulations it was a joy to be there with you vicariously through your great writing. Thank you.

Back