• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2015 WV Firearms season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 2015 WV firearm season dawned cold and crisp this morning. I hunted my way back into the same area I killed a buck two years ago and waited to see if I could kill a mature deer with my 50 cal percussion rifle. I didn't have to wait long. Two young deer came up behind me and moved on. Two more young deer came up to my right and I allowed them to move on as well. About 30 minutes later I heard deer running and watched a buck chase a doe in and out of the brush and then they disappeared over the hill. I continued watching and noticed some more movement to my left. I then saw a deer about one hundred yards away and with my binoculars confirmed it was a legal spike. I waited and it worked its way out the ridge then another came down from the top of the hill and both came in my direction with the buck following the doe. I silently cocked the hammer and set the trigger and waited until they were about 30 yards away and whistled for the buck to stop. When he stopped I squeezed off the shot aiming for the front shoulder. The smoke cleared and the buck was down in his tracks. The doe he had been following didn't know what happened and she circled around to check out the buck. The woods then had deer running in all directions. Ten does passed within my sight while I was reloading. (I was always approach a down deer with a loaded firearm until a confirm the deer is dead.) It turned out to be a 3 point, but a nice size deer. I recovered the ball in the opposite shoulder. The .495 patched round ball sitting on 80 gr of 2F Goex did it job.

Awesome! Way to go. Sounds like a great hunt and there will be some nice meat garnered from that buck.

Jeff

October Country will make one for you, whatever length you need and whatever ends you want. Or at least they did about 10 years ago for me. Mine is threaded for a Tee handle so it can double as a range rod if necessary in the field.

Back