• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2014 NC Deer Season Results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
My 2014 North Carolina Deer season was a good one until it got unexpectedly stopped short Thanksgiving week due to a foot injury.

1) November Fall colors and cool weather were beautiful as usual. I also saw the biggest buck of my lifetime moving slowly through thick trees about 50-60 yards away. Had his nose down on a hot Doe track, ignored my grunt call, just kept slowly plodding along, never had a good shot, and then he had passed on by, never saw him again...huge deer, huge rack.

2) I did manage to take a 7 pointer and 2 Does”¦the 7 pointer was originally an 8 but 1 tine had been snapped off apparently from fighting”¦donated all of them to the needy family I give them to near where I hunt.

3) I used my .58cal Early Virginia only because I felt pretty sure it would be my last season with it”¦planned to begin ”˜thinning the herd’ in 2015 by selling off the .40cal Late Lancaster, and possibly the .58cal Early Virginia after the season was over”¦and in fact have now sold both of them.

4) As in recent years, I used my preferred “high-shoulder-shot” to take out the vertebrae, and as in the past the results were all 3 deer dropping in their tracks in 40-50 yard ranges”¦a devastating kind of shot placement.

5) As in 2013, I used Ameristep Doghouse ground blinds again to eliminate the possibility of ladder stand / tree stand related injuries, and they were great again”¦warm / dry / comfortable”¦hunted a few days in rainy weather that I normally would have missed.

6) Then ironically”¦in spite of being risk free of ladder stand / tree stand injuries”¦during Thanksgiving week when I was walking back out of the woods after dark following a couple days of heavy rain, I slipped on muddy ground stepping over a ditch, and in falling got my right foot wedged / bent down into a small hole. Tore cartilage in the foot, had to stay off of it through December ending the 2014 hunting season early.

But, while it took 6-7 weeks for my foot to heal up, the good news is I was able to walk back over uneven ground in the woods just today, and take down / bring out the 2 Doghouse blinds I had used in November. With mobility basically no longer a major issue I’ll be restarting weekly Flintlock range trips now and be 100% ready for April Turkey season with the 28ga Early Virginia.

Hope everyone had a good 2014 season and a better 2015 coming up in the near future...

I enjoyed the read and am glad the foot is better..did the same in december cept i fell down my back steps.. :doh: couldn't get in my stand for 2 weeks.

The approaching turkey season you mentioned is about more than i can stand to wait for..glad you mentioned it though..gotta pattern and start getting ready. :hatsoff:

Even though I didn't get a deer during Muzzle Loader Season I did see more turkeys than ever.
I even got to see them roost in the trees nearby.
I think I will get a turkey call for the 2015 deer hunt so I can practice and see if I can get them to answer me.
But with my luck I wont see any.

Back