• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2009 ML Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I left yesterday morning at 3AM for a day hunt in a local unit for "muzzleloader only, antlerless only" Elk. I was in position well before first light,checked the thermals several times and chose a position to ambush a well used travel route from feedin to bedding areas. I didn't wait long after good shooting light before I heard what sounded like hooves clicking on rock periodicly. I was sucked down pretty good in the bitterbrush and sagebrush so I didn't have a real good field of view (just the trail area in front of me), so when she appeared at 30 yards it was almost a shock. I waited until she stepped into a clear lane, raised my .58 and dropped the hammer...CLICK! The cap had fallen off the nipple and was laying smashed in the crevice of the snail. I remember capping in the dark and thinking the cap was not seated real well. Thinking it was just tight, I pushed it down on the nipple again to make sure. Well, it was just an oversized cap, probably the only one in that tin and maybe the only one in the 2000+ that I own. Wouldn't you just know it would be chosen at that exact time! Anyway, because the wind was good and I was so well hidden, I was able to cap again, raise the rifle and much to my delight, she was now standing in reverse direction at about 50 yards, BANG! She trots off another 50 yards, slows to a walk and stops at maybe 75 yards on the edge of the canyon. I watch, hoping she'll go down right there but she walks over the edge and out of sight. I reload, grab my rifle and ease out to the edge real slow, watching my silloette against the skyline. I find her walking slowly, below me and facing away at 100 yards. I sit down and prepare for a follow up shot. She turns to the left, giving me a broadside shot at a little over 100 yards and I shoot again and reload. She goes another 30 yards and is down for good. Both .58 balls hit within 2 inches of each other and I found them both under the hide when I skinned her out. The balls both were flat on one side and quite a bit larger than their original .570" diameter. It was a beautiful day for quartering and packing, cool with a slight breeze and cloudy to block the direct sun. The meat is in the cooler and we are once again blessed with Elk for the winter. Thank You God.

IMG_0842.jpg

wonderful story, great photo, and memories that you couldn't buy for any amount of money. Just as important you're feeding your family.

marmotslayer said:
A job well done. Lookes like a pretty big cow! Did you have to pack it out alone?

Actually, I forgot to mention that I was hunting with Wapiti Wacker and his son. I can't express how grateful I am for having help packing meat :bow: Thanks again Wapiti Wacker! Hope you two made meat today.

Sounds like you did your homework and it paid off, great pictures ,beautiful country, great hunting story, are you still wearing that grin you had in the pictures? I would be!Glad you had help packing your cow out. It's just amazing how big elk are. Thinking about elk steaks makes my mouth water....Congratulation on your Muzzle loading Elk hunt!

I was planning on hunting that very same spot. A guy I work with was planning on hunting there this week. He changed his plans for me on a different hunt, the deer hunt that is later in the same area, so I decided not to be in that spot the same time as him for the elk hunt. I knew you were going to be there too. Way to go on the cow. Ron

Great job! We find out next Friday who the lucky hunters are that get a PA Elk tag for 2009.

Well buddy as you know from our conversation yesterday I have yet to make meat for my family. The backstrap you gave me however sure does eat mighty fine!The meat from any animal will be gone the next year,but the memories of such a great hunt with my son and great friend will be here forever.I look forward to our next hunt with great anticipation and maybe this time my aim will be a little more true! :redface:

Latest posts

Back