• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2004 pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just push enough in the cylinder bore to make sure the lube gets around the ball against bore wall. The wax/veggie oil I use is mainly for gas seal but does provide a bit of barrel lube. I like it because it's cheap to make plus it leaves a soft sooty fouling that doesn't affect accuracy and very easy to clean.
I've never in my 50 years of shooting used over powder wads. Up to you.
Use 3f powder. IMO burns cleaner and pretty much recommended.
Some use a filler on top of powder so ball seats right at top of cylinder bore. I tried it and found it really didn't make any difference. My experience.
Shoot a charge that provides desired accuracy.
More doesn't equal better. Accuracy and placement does.
Don't pinch #11 caps to fit a #10 nipple. Hot gases can get in and although many theories IMO ill fitting caps can cause chain fire.
If #11 is what you use get #11 nipples.
Sounds good. Don't want any chain fire going on. Will be using this to hunt with some as there are alot of bears where I hunt. Usually at least 1 or 2 moma bears with cubs. So I need it to work if I have to have it. Thanks again

Very good to know. Thank you very much for the info Now I can proceed with trying to find a replacement cylinder. I just got it yesterday at a gun show and they knew nothing about it besides it was made in Italy.. 2 of the percusion nipples were loose and would not tighten up. A friend has the same gun but in blued steel. Well, 2 of his fit in my cylinder and mine fit in his but for some reason my 2 that were in it would not get tight at all. By looking at the 2 in comparison 1 looked to be bigger threads but that doesn't tell how they were able to swap. I'd like to get a replacement cylinder in stainless but every where I've looked their sold out and cannot get. Any ideas on the 2 questions?
The fact that the nipples won't tighten up is concerning. It is possible that the nipples are the wrong size and are for a smaller revolver. The nipples that don't tighten are probably 12-28 which is the metric equivalent of 5.5-0.9mm. That would be the best case scenario. So, get out your trusty calipers or micrometer and measure. With the smaller diameter and nearly the same thread pitch, it may seem as if they could fit but you would be unable to tighten them.

The correct nipples for your revolver will be the 6-0.75mm nipples. Your version is the target model with the adjustable sights.

Replacement nipples will often come sized for #11 percussion caps. These are the most common size. You can find nipples for #10 caps, but these may require some searching. Once again we have a task for your calipers. Measure the tips of the nipples. A measurement of 0.155" (approximately) if for #10 caps. A tip diameter of 0.165" is for #11 caps.

Nipples - Track of the Wolf

The 2 that were in my gun were in,but loose. Almost like they fit inside the threads. All they would do is spin. Wouldn't even try to start threading. Seems like someone put those in there to make it look like they were all there and tight. Will get a friend to help me with the caliper part as I don't have 1 and never have used 1. Thanks for the info. Just curious what do these target editions go fir? Curious as I paid too much

I think you should invest in some good books on black powder firearms and do some reading. Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Reloading Manual is a good start. I would also recommend some GOOD screwdrivers and a digital caliper - a inexpensive one from Harbor Freight will do unless you are a machinist ;) :thumb::ThankYou::horseback:

All I need is for it to work with number 11 percusion caps without it blowing up on me so guess I'll see if I can find some for it

Obviously 2 of the 6 are too small or have damaged threads. Throw those away right now (the 2 that won't tighten) before you damage the cylinder threads with them. Stop trying them!

Obviously 2 of the 6 are too small or have damaged threads. Throw those away right now (the 2 that won't tighten) before you damage the cylinder threads with them. Stop trying them!
I only tried it first day I got it. Hadnt tried any more. Was just saying I couldn't figure it out why 1 would fit in 1 gun and not the other. That was then

Latest posts

Back