• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 ga smoothbore flintlock pistol recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston123

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

As per title, I am looking for a 20ga smoothbore pistol to match my 20ga trade-musket, so I can use the same roundball in both.

So far, I seemingly have two options:

1) commission a pistol to match my long-gun. I got the musket through Sitting Fox, and they offer various pistols as well. But that would be expensive, about $1000+ (i dont have the facilities, the tools or the skills to build a gun), and take a long time. The second is not a big deal, but the first is iffy

-or-

2) get an import, like from Veteran Arms. Ive ragged on Indian guns before, but Veteran Arms apparently offers a "test firing" service.

I dont care about the make of the gun, so long as it is something a dude from.1750s.New England could feasibly have by some stretch of the imagination. I would imagine a Brit Sea Service pistol would work (but how early in tje 1700s do they come into service?), a French piece.(maybe captured?), or a "generic" trade-pistol (although i havent seen a trade-pistol outside of getting one commissioned for big bucks)

Then there is the matter of powder. From what Ive been reading, the granulation of powder for a muzzleloading gun depends more on the caliber of the piece than the size, so, .50 and up usually uses 2Fg powder. Does this hold true for pistols? Do I just use less powder in the charge (ive seen 1/2 a grain of powder per caliber in pistols, so 30 grains for a 60 caliber gun), or do I *need* to use 3Fg?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back