• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

20 ga English fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Latest find at my favorite LGS.

A little voice told me to stop by this morning while I was in town. First thing I laid my eyes on was a Pedersoli flintlock Kentucky rifle. It was in rough shape, with the stock beat to heck, and replacement thimbles. The thimbles were bigger than stock, and someone had hacked out the stock to allow the bigger thimbles to fit. They wanted over $400 for it.

Next to it was a 20 ga. flintlock fowler. The tag called it an English Fowler and had 'Canoe Gun'under that. No markings, except for the 20 ga on the 30" barrel. I have not taken it apart to see if there are any hidden markings yet. For what they wanted, less than half the price of the Pedersoli, I decided to pick it up.

35949887664_2f50334687_o.jpg

36387474030_1a843448eb_o.jpg

36387584690_67daa7bf62_o.jpg

36387588690_2a7902ecc1_o.jpg

36387576930_9efb44b077_o.jpg

35975656463_22656ea31d_o.jpg

colorado clyde said:
I'm no expert!....But I would say, that is not an English fowler....

That gun has Kentucky written all over it...
I Agree

But if you like it shoot it and enjoy it
Feltwad

Wow what a score! :hatsoff:

Are you able to tell if the bore is choked?

Well Sir if you ever gut tired of owning such a mislabeled Frankenstein of a firearm please get in touch with me! I will Gladly give you what you paid for plus shipping and I would even through in a little extra to sooth your woes from making such a rash purchase!

I'm just that kind of guy! :v

You have picked up a nice short barreled fowler. Appears to be built of quality parts. I do think that the forward lock bolt should be replaced.

Rabbits and squirrels living on your hunting grounds are going to regret it when you show up with that fowler.

Do you plan on stripping it and re-working it at all? There are certainly places that could use it, starting with the lock panel shape and beaver tails. Nice piece of wood that's for sure, and you bought the gun for less than what the blank would cost.

I think I would rather peal the skin off the bottom of my own feet than start in on removing the finish on that fine fowler. Thats a beautiful piece miner!
String

'Tis a nice looking gun. I have a somewhat similar fowler where I used the same trigger guard and butt plate. Except I rounded the toe of the butt plate and didn't use a toe plate. I think that would make it more of a Virginia fowler.

Back