• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

20 G shotgun, wallhanger, English? Tell me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stooped by a friends house today to to chech on his progress with a 55 Tradesman wagon. When we went to the Bach of the shop to look at a metal cutting band saw he wanted to sell we passed several unmentionable shotgun stocks which he asked if I wanted. I noticed one with the action still attached and picked it up. He told me it was part of a wall hanger as some one had welded a barrel to it at one time, so he looked around and found the barrel. Well, I said not my thing. So he said maybe I have another wall hanger you might be interested in. So here it is. Too crusty to read any marks but I'd guess Englsh made. What's your guess? 20 Guage 34" barrel from the broken tang to muzzle. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Looking at the lock plate and the hammer, is that a slide type safety mechanism that would allow the gun too be carried cocked.

I was looking at that also, as well as the shape of the hammer. The file work on the box in the stock is interesting. I’d like to know the history of this one.

Thanks Feltwas, I didn't think of German. It is fit with all iron and weighs about 4 lb . There is too much rust to detect any making at all. I thought the patch box to be unusual. I haven't decided whether to do a cleanup to look fo marking or not.
Dave

It clearly has a' Patila lock' feature . The fancy work to the rear of the hammer would engage the full cock likley has a round half cock like a log with a deep notch in it very Spanish . feature So deffinatly not English. But still a fascinating gun .Hardly a fine gun but it warrents carefull restoration .Ide give a home rough or no rough. Never seen another like it '.Patila' means foot. The tangs not broken it just a loose' False breech '.
Rudyard

Thanks for the thoughts on it. I will have to do a tear down and clean up to see what is under the rust. It looks like it was stored in an unseated place as the barrel is quite rusty, but the trigger moves as does the hammer. The wood shows no degrade other than typical cracking etc. and a few inches of the forestock is missing along with a ramrod thimble.
Dave

Latest posts

Back