• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#2 waiting on Aquafortis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My southern mountain chunk gun. Browned eveything. It has a .45 cal match grade Rice barrel and a Durrs Egg percussion. The smallest size Rice could use for the .45 cal in match grade is 1" wide. So it is extreamly heavy. I don't have a scale but I would say somewhere around 10-12 pounds at least.

Went poor boy with this one. The wood has a lot of curl and I figured I'd let the wood do the talking for this gun. Just need the Aquafortis that I ordered to show up.

SANY1509.jpg

SANY1510.jpg

SANY1511.jpg

Good point Swampy. I guess I thought they might look alright but I trimed some fat now. It looks better, it made the wrist seem more slim.

Here ya go. The aquafortis came in the mail run too. Here it is with the first coat of finish drying.

SANY15092.jpg

SANY15102.jpg

looks more better :grin: Good color too. You can still remove a bit more from around the lock if your brave :grin:

I'd leave the length but just remove more height... especially right in the front of the lock.. in between the barrel and the lock plate...

S6300327.jpg

:v

keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thx :grin: It was a little nerve wracking holding my purddy stock over a red hot stove burner. Had a blow out when I was inletting the lock and my patch job didn't come out quite as hidden as I woud have liked. But all in all it is looking great.

All done. I polished the hammer screw and the cleaning screw on the drum and left the triggers bare and a german sliver front sight. A few little shinny bits to accent it. 5 coats (I think) of TruOil and I used steel wool and a linen rag to buff it down to a nice smooth matte finish. Rear sight is a little far forward but I don't expect to many problems.

SANY15093.jpg

SANY15103.jpg

SANY15112.jpg

Back