• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#2 rooster.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rain forecast again today so I was out as dawn approached and a goodly cool south wind blew.
I sheltered from a wind blown shower as it got lighter.
Extremely tired after a hard week at work and only five hours sleep I contemplated a nap but resisted.
I wanted another cooking bird.

Nothing special happened really. Today I carried my .45 smoothrifle with I guess 3/4oz of #7 shot on the same volume of the finest size grade I have. Two OS cards, lube and some more OS cards.
Jess had a long walk the evening before so I was alone this time. The bird lifted to my surprise and completely unexpectedly. I flicked the smoothrifle through the bird and fired. I felt a little slap to the face this time so I must of been off the stock some, the bird however was killed and hit the deck dead.
This .45 never fails however it is loaded.
20201024_094122.jpg

Rain forecast again today so I was out as dawn approached and a goodly cool south wind blew.
I sheltered from a wind blown shower as it got lighter.
Extremely tired after a hard week at work and only five hours sleep I contemplated a nap but resisted.
I wanted another cooking bird.

Nothing special happened really. Today I carried my .45 smoothrifle with I guess 3/4oz of #7 shot on the same volume of the finest size grade I have. Two OS cards, lube and some more OS cards.
Jess had a long walk the evening before so I was alone this time. The bird lifted to my surprise and completely unexpectedly. I flicked the smoothrifle through the bird and fired. I felt a little slap to the face this time so I must of been off the stock some, the bird however was killed and hit the deck dead.
This .45 never fails however it is loaded.
View attachment 47644
My kind of hunt. Great picture. Was wondering, are birds stocked over there or are wild birds just plentiful?

I think you like that 45. Thanks for sharing my good man.

Thought of you earlier this week as I nearly drove into a ditch immediately upon passing a cock pheasant standing in middle of the road. It's been ages since I had seen one in that part of Indiana! Enjoy them friend.

Best regards, Skychief.

Birds are stocked close to my patch. Some come and settle on me because I keep the varmints down.
They soon go wild and breed by themselves in spring.
Most driven bird Estate days loose a few birds over their boundary .
Feltwad

Just so you all know.
I brought the gun home wet and did not clean it.
I just cleaned it 26 plus hours later. No rust. In fact I could of shot it today just fine. No so called flash rusting from boiled water either. (What ever that is and why it is feared so much I don't know nor care).
Why am I saying this? Because the fear of iron eating fouling is so hyped up these days it once infected me also. But not anymore!

Just so you all know.
I brought the gun home wet and did not clean it.
I enjoy hearing the results of your "experiments," like not cleaning right away. It's interesting to get real world results from doing things that are not the norm in our processes. Kind of like Skychief experimenting with putting a big wet soggy heavy wad up front of the shot load and what do you know...it works better! While I wouldn't want to let my guns sit for too long without getting cleaned, it's good to know that they are a little more resistant and durable than perhaps we sometimes think! :thumb:

P.S. I have a hat just like that! 50% German as well.

Back