• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 new rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hayes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today i purchased 2 new rifles. A t/c .58 "big boar" and a cva .50 mountain rifle. The cva has a trashed barrel, but is 1". Can anyone point me to someone who can re-bore this to a .58?

Do a search here for contact info for Mr. Ed Rayle, Gasaway, WVA., that's who I've heard good things about.....

Side note for future reference: What does it usually cost to do such a thing? (Got my eye on a BPR of unknown condition at the local pawn shop. Haven't asked to look at it cause I'm currently broke.)

Just got my Halleck back from Bob Hoyt.
Went 50 to 54 - was quoted 100 but sent 125 as it seemed low.
Job looks good - waiting on weather now.
Have no doubts it'll shoot as his rep is flawless.
Dovetails and screw holes will dictate what can be done.

how does one get ahold of Bob Hoyt, does he do work for anyone , i would like to have a barrel redone.or is there any one else that you will reccomend

Double check that mountain rifle, the .45 and .50s were 15/16 and the .54/.58 big bores were 1". Deer Creek has a brand new .50 cal barrel for that gun, I paid $110 3 years ago for mine, excellent shooter.

#717-642-6696
Hard to get him - do a search on Bob Hoyt barrels
Worth the effort.

You might want to try shooting that CVA first, unless you are set on a .58. I bought an old abused .54 a few years ago with a real nasty bore. My ramrod actually chatters when pushing a ball down the barrel but the thing is as accurate as my GM .50 barrel.

Personally, and from very current experience, I'd search other very recent strings here about these artisan recommendations before contracting for any work.

Back