• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2 new knife designs:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys:
Just finished these. I'm about to list the Cartouche'. What 'cha think? I have a sheath made for the Cartouche' but not the skinner yet.
Stay safe y'all.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• Skinner and Cartouche' handled 001 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 001 edited 30.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Skinner and Cartouche' handled 002 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 002 edited 30.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Skinner and Cartouche' handled 005 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 005 edited 30.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Skinner and Cartouche' handled 006 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 006 edited 30.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Skinner and Cartouche' handled 007 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 007 edited 30.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Skinner and Cartouche' handled 008 edited 30.jpg
    Skinner and Cartouche' handled 008 edited 30.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Better pics. Cartouche and skinner 001 edited 30.jpg
    Better pics. Cartouche and skinner 001 edited 30.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Better pics. Cartouche and skinner 002 edited 30.jpg
    Better pics. Cartouche and skinner 002 edited 30.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 195
Hello Spence:
The Cartouche' is the long, narrow, bladed one. The Cartouche' knife, also referred to in the fur trade as a Woman's knife & by it's more usual name "case" knife ( since a "set" of them were usually kept in a box in the kitchen of an English home), was derived from Medieval patterns." It remained popular until the end of the last century". Most had integral bolsters and came in different qualities. Credit to "Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook", Pg. 12, by James A. Hanson.
I hope this answer is acceptable?
God bless:
Two Feathers

I've always found the term to be confusing, because archeologists use it for a specific historical type, brass handle with cutouts, but I see it applied to many other types quite different. Here are a couple of links to the historical types.

Scroll down in this one and you will see two "cartouche handles" which have been dug.

www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?pg=3128823&id=6806CCEB-155D-4519-3EC618A6CFC1DFB4

And another with a good picture which I believe is an example of what the archeologists describe.

www.cowanauctions.com/lot/english-cartouche-knife-from-the-collection-of-thomas-amble-minnesota-3936551

Spence

Men used them, too!

That was an interesting old-timey concept, meaning gender specific knives. The Ulu of the far north was considered a woman's knife, and I have run across a traditional Finnish knife pattern known as a "housewife's knife." The butcher knives of the fur trade were certainly used by both sexes, but sometimes the sheaths differed. The ladies' rawhide knife sheaths of the plains and mountains often had a flap over the top and encased the entire knife, while the men's rawhide sheaths were typically open, with some of the knife handle protruding.

However, I have no doubt that the cartouche knives of the era would have been prized by anybody who had one, man or woman.

Those both look good, TwoFeathers!

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob:
Thank you brother. Not sure how to take Spence's reply? My book also shows the Cartouche' with the pierced brass scales, AND the book does state that varying quality of these knives DO exist! But, as always, I welcome comments. Am I to assume that: Spence.. you don't approve of my description?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Am I to assume that: Spence.. you don't approve of my description?
If I knew enough about the subject to approve or disapprove I wouldn't be confused. I'm just trying to learn what a cartouche knife really was back in the day, What you and a lot of other people call a cartouche knife is very different than what is apparently the historical type of the archeologists. Conflicting definitions don't help. I doubt both can be right.

Spence

medicine_duck:?
Thank you, however I think some other folks have a different opinion of my Cartouche'?
Regardless, it went to a customer, who really likes it. I'll be making more of my Cartouche' pattern soon. If you're interested, please PM me. I'll be making the sheathes just a bit different though.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Glock21user:
Thank ya. kindly. It's for sale, just needs a sheath yet? Once my next shipment of leather gets here, it shouldn't take long to make one?
How's things in the UP? Or aren't you up that far?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Glock21user:
Thank ya. kindly. It's for sale, just needs a sheath yet? Once my next shipment of leather gets here, it shouldn't take long to make one?
How's things in the UP? Or aren't you up that far?
God bless:
Two Feathers
We live approximately 250 south of the Big Mac. and the ever beautiful U.P yet we spend a significant amount of time there.
I have followed many of your knives and such, beautiful work for certain.

Thank you again. You're embarrassing me... I love it! :thumb:;) Haven't been in that area since 1968. As I recall it was beautiful then too. Stay safe my friend.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back