• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 for 3 today....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
B6CA03C4-A329-43D4-BDFE-64DC50280FE9.jpeg

With Tn Squirrel season coming to a close this week, I thought I should take a walk.

I went up the ridge behind my house late this afternoon.

I picked out a spot too sit on a stump just over the crest of the ridge
overlooking an old hollow den tree.

The squirrels had been scurring around along the hillside in the sunshine
for quite some time, once I settled in it wasn’t long till one appeared.

I eased the 16 gauge too my shoulder , slowly rolling the cock back....

Boom! A clean miss Pilgrim! At 20 yards too....

I forgot not to aim at what I’m shooting at with this gun,
I’ve gotta’ work on that..

But when I do my part , she’ll do hers.
The next 2 nutcrackers that came within 25 yards
weren’t so lucky.

Thanks to Skychief for the loading advice.

My version goes like this 65grns Goex ffg , 1 Nitro Card, 2 ozs of # 6 shot, 1 thin overshot card then a wet fiber wad on top .

I’m using Hornadys One Shot, But Olive Oil works just as well.

Thanks Guys, it was a fun hunt.

Sky, I hope your recovery is going well!

Laney, these are getting the hot oil treatment this afternoon!

Good job, SMO :thumb:

Around here you'd have to shoot three feet under the little mound of snow you see moving to get a squirrel on the ground! It's literally up to my ars in the woods right now. Was -18F air temp this morning. Winter just doesn't want to give up this year.

Good job, SMO :thumb:

Around here you'd have to shoot three feet under the little mound of snow you see moving to get a squirrel on the ground! It's literally up to my ars in the woods right now. Was -18F air temp this morning. Winter just doesn't want to give up this year.

I hear you Mike ! I have no problem blowing one of those squirrels out of the snow! LOL

I thought it was cold here at 17 * this morning, Hang in there
Brother Springs a comin’...

0A294604-A05B-4654-8475-50449D2FB924.jpeg

Sweet.

Our local grouse season just closed and I did not see a SINGLE grouse all fall and winter! First time ever. Never flushed one or saw one fly. Not even tracks in the snow. :-(

What I am seeing is fishers. I've seen seven of them since October. I wonder if they have had a paw in lowering the grouse population on the land I hunt. And they are considered "furbearers" with a five day(!) trapping only season hereabouts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back