• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1st time attending Friendship

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowhammer

40 Cal
Reaction score
Old man, but a relative novice to the latest muzzleloader trends, LOL. Thought maybe wife and I might drive up and investigate the Friendship Spring National Shoot. Since my only non-inline muzzleloader is an "un-cool" Trad KY percussion, should I just leave it at home and go to observe only, or are there matches that I could participate in and enjoy? Is there enough going on there to warrant a visit if a guy isn't into competition? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Would easily recommend the running boar for unique, woodwalk if able and enjoy the atmosphere for certain and the shopping.

Old man, but a relative novice to the latest muzzleloader trends, LOL. Thought maybe wife and I might drive up and investigate the Friendship Spring National Shoot. Since my only non-inline muzzleloader is an "un-cool" Trad KY percussion, should I just leave it at home and go to observe only, or are there matches that I could participate in and enjoy? Is there enough going on there to warrant a visit if a guy isn't into competition? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hello. Welcome. You can shoot in many offhand matches with your Ky. percussion rifle. Look for the shoot program. Open sights in many matches. The NMLRA website has information for first timers. You may want to shoot the classification agg, four matches. You may also want to try a novice match. You won't be the first new shooter. Let the range officer know you are new. Much to see even if you don't shoot.

Lots of shooting on both sides of the road but you have to be an NMLRA member to shoot. They do have matches for inlines also. You can join at the range. Traders row is an experience and very hard not to spend a lot. The south side of the road is the primitive area lots of blanket traders. Then you have the flea markets. On the west side of the range is Friendship they have a flea market there in town. Then on the east side of the range is THE WORLDS BIGGEST FLEA MARKET, if your looking for something and you can't find it there it doesn't exist. Kind of impossible to go through everything in a day. Versailles is the closest place with motels but unless you have reservations or going to camp hard to find anywhere to stay. If you go to shoot then get up early and be on the firing line when it opens that will usually give you a couple of relays before the wind kicks up. Aaah the friendship wind, nothing like having 4 wind flags out and each is flying in a different direction. Good luck and have fun.

Your cap lock will be just fine. As pointed out already, you have to be a member of the NMLRA AND you have to pay a registration fee, plus entry fees for whatever matches you choose to compete in. The Woodswalk is loads of fun. All reactive “ hit or miss” targets. You can also shoot “ re-entries” whenever you wish. Nice way to spend some time on the line, shooting and socializing. Especially nice for those of us who aren’t competitive with the better shots but do it for fun anyhow.
IMHO..for anyone interested in muzzleloader shooting, building or collecting..A trip to Friendship is a worthwhile way to spend a couple of days.

I think it’s great that your going. I’ve never been, no good excuses for it. Hope you have a great time.

Should you decide to attend...go the 1st weekend for sure. All vendors will be there and all ranges will have shooters too. First time there for me was overwhelmed to the point I didn't even get out and shoot. I walked around the vendors, Gunmakers Hall & all the other locations to see what's going on.

If your bride enjoys flea marketing, there is one on each end of the NMLRA range.
If interested...the two below will give you a small idea of what to see:

I will be going for the first time also.

Never seen a check book mentioned more times than I have in this thread! 🤣 Haven't owned a check book since 2010.

Back