• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Primitive small game hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well folks, I finally did it. After years of sort of messing around, half arsing or going through the motions, I went on a dedicated small game hunt, with a new to me 12 gauge smoothbore fowler.

While I didn't bring home any meat for dinner, this hunt was considered a success for me. I hunted a new grounds, with a gun I've never hunted with, and learned alot. Alot about these new woods, gun and myself.

I got off a long range, maybe 40 paces or so shot on a squirrel, that didn't quite connect. And right then I cursed myself for not bringing my more experienced 45. Live and learn.

The biggest takeaway for me was, just how special this type of hunt is. I felt connected to nature, history and mankind, all in one fell swoop. And I arrived home with such a peaceful feeling, that I need to do this again and again and again.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories over the years, to give a guy like me the courage to make some stories for himself.

Thanks cc. You and me both. Might have to sneak out while kiddos are napping tomorrow and try my luck again.

You said it, "...again and again." You are going to like it more every time, too, I'll bet.

Spence

Thank you Spence. Credit is due when I say that. You have been among the few good influences that have directed my life towards the traditional ways.

You're right, you don't have to bring home game to have a successful hunt. Sounds like you had a great time. Look forward to hearing about your future hunts. Good luck! :hatsoff:

Now that you know what fun can be had I'm sure we will be hearing from you again. Keep after'em. Dan.

I'm most assuredly hooked, it was way too much fun not to be! I've harvested animals in all sorts of ways, but this way has been by far the most fulfilling.

I look forward to sharing my stories with this group.

Friend, I have shot all sorts of modern rifles a shotgun but nothing gets me more excited than using a front loader!
First off everything has to slow down!
Second, it stops being about the killing!
Third, there is a lot of hoping and some praying.

Fourth, while there may be some frowning and humbling, you will want more and more of a gentle good thing for a man :hatsoff:

B.

Good to hear! I'm about to do the same. I shied away from it for a while because, like Britsmoothy said, with modern guns it was just killing. Different story going primitive, and it sounds like my guess is right in that it's incredibly more rewarding.

Once your go primitive, modern hunting is just... easy... also I've learned more valuable skills are gained.

Well can't say to much I shot four squirrel the other day with my .22. :doh: :redface:

When you go primitive you learn to Hunt not just shoot. That is what I like to do, Hunt,,shooting ends all the hunting then what to do the remainder of the season!!

Nothing is so satisfying as carrying a muzzleloader in the woods. For years, now, I hunt flintlock exclusively, both large and small game.

Thanks Spence. That was a good and touching read, and sums up alot of what I've been thinking about and how I wish to hunt this fall.

:thumbsup:
The idea of hunting squirrels with a muzzleloader is what started me on my journey at a very young age...I hunted everything with a muzzleloader..
It is still my weapon of choice for most types of hunting.....My favorite plinking and target choice........
Those that understand what I'm saying, Do!.......those that don't probably never will.........

Latest posts

Back