• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st pattern or second pattern Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryED50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to order a Brown Bess replica in the next couple of months and I was looking at the 1st pattern with the 46 inch barrel but after more research found a 2nd pattern with a slightly shorter barrel for $125 less. There isn't much difference performance wise is there?

Gary

Second model (Short Land Pattern) should be a 42" barrel. There won't be any difference in power or accuracy between the two, all other things being equal. The 2nd model will be a bit easier to handle with 4" lopped off the barrel.

There is very little difference in performance between a First or Second Model Land Pattern Musket. The choice can be made based on cost or the choice can be made based on what you intent of use will be. If you are intending to reenact, I would recommend the Long Land Pattern as that can be used for both a F&I impression and an AWI impression. In the AWI, the Second Models were normally issued to front line British troops. Most reenacting groups will accept recruits with both versions.

If reenacting is not on your plan of use, then I would look at the Pedersoli Short Land Pattern Musket. Of course, the price will be higher for the Pedersoli musket.

The main difference in the long land depends on which series of each pattern you ‘re referring to. Its not as simple as long land vs. short land.

There won’t be much different between a 1756 long and and a 1769 short land in terms of stock balance and weight. Even with the 4” cut down on the shortland the shortland is still a pretty heavy musket at 10 lbs.

The real difference in long lands comes into the 1730-1742 patterns. The stock was much more graceful in handling and supported about a 1/4 more drop at the toe With a slightly higher comb. The loading rod made of hickory or ash made the earlier long lands a little lighter too. All in all a much more elegant look to it too compared to latter models with a thicker stock swell and thinner fore stock and some had raised carvings. Later 1742 Brown Bess’s had a steel rammer added to them and an add hoc nose band or cap. This change did make the musket heavier because the loading rod used was wrought iron, and on originals these varied in diameter From very thin to very thick, it wasn’t a perfect system.

The later model 1777/79 short land is distinctively different from all previous patterns in that its lock is smaller, stock was slimmed down and the thimbles for the loading rod were improved. Some of these muskets were also reduced in caliber from the traditional .78 to .75.

Hi

I'm looking to order a Brown Bess replica in the next couple of months and I was looking at the 1st pattern with the 46 inch barrel but after more research found a 2nd pattern with a slightly shorter barrel for $125 less. There isn't much difference performance wise is there?

Gary

Gary,

You may find the following link useful to understand the different Pattern Brown Bess's discussed in this thread:

Pics to identify different Patterns of the 18th Century Brown Bess | The Muzzleloading Forum

Gus

Back